Wednesday, August 09, 2017

Climate Experience

To me, I don't know how people can deny climate change. I had this thought yet again a couple of days ago. It felt more like October then August. Then a yellow leaf fell off a tree and landed in front of me. I have been paying attention. I have seen the effects of climate change in person.

It's ironic when a climate change denier observes "what a warm winter we are having" or "what a cold summer we are having". They are admitting to seeing changes in the climate while denying there are changes to the climate. The literal part of me can't wrap my head around that they are serious about denying climate change.

I'm in tune to climate change because of my anxiety and OCD. I have a spreadsheet on what to wear based on the temperature outside. Comfort helps control the anxiety. My sense of touch is strong. I get cold easily. I have been following this chart very closely for years and stalk the intellicast weather on the internet almost always before I leave. Hourly page only! I notice when it is saying something different then just a few hours before. I bring extra layers when necessary too. If you see me with a backpack, there is a good change there is a sweater and/or jacket in there! I have separate jackets for rain as well.

I have tracked the changes as I monitor things so closely. I am acutely aware of how it's harder to find the perfect walking days in the spring and fall then it was just two years ago. I am aware that I need lighter jackets in the winter more often then I used to. I am aware that I need my rain jackets more often then I used to.

I see it in the garden. That need for a rain jacket more means I don't need to water as often. There are plants that need the heat to thrive. It has been a cool summer. Don't expect the basil to be big and inviting for as long as normal! Vincas and marigolds? I have seen them be big and beautiful when we average the high 80s and low 90s! This year? Not so much. Extreme years and mild years. We get both.

The leaves on some trees are changing color sooner. Plants take their cues from the climate. It might be fun seeing those bulb sprouts in the middle of January. But, we shouldn't be seeing them. They took their cues from that warm stretch and thought it was spring! But, that end of January cold snap could damage those sprouts.

Good thing all that extra snow creates insulation to protect them! Unfortunately, that much snow creates problems. Remember the winter two years ago when we got alot of snow every Tuesday? I mentioned it in my blog post "Burried Boston, Dry California" in February of 2015. By the way, I'm pretty sure the drought I mentioned in this post is still going on!

http://homewithmommy-fran.blogspot.com/2015/02/burried-boston-dry-california.html

 Average temperatures have been changing. Not just in my area too. Below is a link to a New York Times article. They had obtained a copy of the current climate report. This is on 9 takeaways from it. I'll sum it up since some people may not subscribe and may have used all their free articles for the month.




1. It's getting hotter. The average temperatures are hotter then they used to be.

How average annual temperatures have changed
Since the first half of the 20th century



Average annual
temperature
Average annual
minimum
Average annual
maximum
Great Plains North
1.7
1.7
1.7
Alaska
1.7
1.9
1.4
Southwest
1.6
1.6
1.6
Northwest
1.5
1.6
1.5
Northeast
1.4
1.7
1.2
Hawaii
1.3
1.5
1.0
Midwest
1.3
1.8
0.8
United States
+1.2°F
+1.4°F
+1.1°F
Great Plains South
0.8
0.6
1.0
Southeast
0.5
0.8
0

2. Hurricanes in the east will bring more rainfall and possibly be more destructive then ever.

3. The warming in California will cause less winter and spring snowpack. Meaning, more droughts to come.

4. More rain when it does rain!

How maximum daily precipitation has changed, 1901-2016
+0-9%
+10-19%
+20-29%


5. Sea level rising will lead to more flooding.

6. The sea level rising will effect areas where the land is naturally subsiding like the gulf of Mexico and the northeast.

7. El Nino might effect a year or two. But, it can't be pointed to as the cause of long-term changes like a decade or more.

8. Human behavior has caused these changes

9. Expect climate surprises in the future.


NYT Climate Report:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/08/08/climate/nine-takeaways-climate-report.html?rref=collection%2Fsectioncollection%2Fclimate&action=click&contentCollection=climate&region=rank&module=package&version=highlights&contentPlacement=2&pgtype=sectionfront


NYT Trump supporters and the climate report



https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/08/us/politics/climate-trump-scientists-supporters.html


No comments:

Post a Comment