Wednesday, July 26, 2017

Necklaces That Bind

When Josh and I were engaged we got his grandma a pearl necklace for a gift. She died about 6 weeks before our wedding. Josh's mom gave it to me. It's the necklace I wore on my wedding day. I'll never forget. At the end of the reception, crying she said "thank you for this" and pointed to the necklace.

For me it was a no brainer. My Mom didn't have anything as sentimental as that for me to borrow. At the time, Josh and I had been together for 6 years. It was just as sentimental to me as it was to her. I loved his grandma, who they lived with.

But, that's not the only important necklace that binds me and my wonderful mother-in-law. Each year for their anniversary Josh's parents go to Jamaica. They do this oyster catching thing and sometimes find real pearls. Two years ago, she gave me one in a cage. A necklace. It's beautiful and I cherish it.



The other day I had a special necklace to give her. My parents are with us on vacation each year. I wanted to thank them. I got my dad BBQ sauce. A recipe they sell at Josh and my favorite restaurant. I made my mom a necklace. In walking distance is a store where you can make jewelry. I've always enjoyed that.

But, my mom didn't like the necklace. So I took it back and thought for about 6 months who I wanted to have it. Who would like it and treat it as something special. I knew my mother-in-law would appreciate it!

Not only did she really like it, she mentioned how much she loved the sand dollar centerpiece. She loves sand dollars. When I left the house that day I realized, maybe I was thinking of her when choosing how to make it. It suits her. I didn't realize it at the time. But, that's what I was doing.

I used to be better at choosing necklaces for my mom. Like the one I gave her on my wedding day. When I was 2 years old I selected a beautiful sapphire ring for her. It was a mother's day gift. My dad tells the story. He placed tiny me on the counter and I looked down and chose it. She cherishes that ring greatly! She had gotten a necklace to match it after that.

But, for her gift on my wedding day, I got her a matching necklace. She prefers that necklace now. Because the necklace and ring both have sentimental value for her.

Sometimes necklaces have sentimental value. They can have meaning. They aren't just an accessory to make an outfit look good. For me, these necklaces are one of many ways we are connected. We are family.

Most of the time, special things like the necklaces from my mother-in-law, are saved for birth children and not in-laws. But, I'll never forget the day she gave me grandma's necklace. Sitting on Josh's bed, crying, she handed me the box. She didn't ask me to wear it on our wedding day. But, I knew she wanted me to. I wanted to as well.

My mom has a different smile when she wears the jewelry I picked out for her. They mean more to her. Bind us. Someday, I will get them back. But, I hope it's decades from now!!!

Do I have any necklaces the bind from Zach? Yes! One is a necklace technically from Josh. He got it for me for mother's day when I was 32 weeks pregnant with Zach. I wore it while giving birth. Yes, the actual labor. It's my Zachary necklace! The next year, baby Zach chose a beautiful gold heart necklace for me. He still likes to choose necklaces for me. But, those are the two that mean the most.

No comments:

Post a Comment