Tuesday, December 05, 2017

From 16 To 10 In 2

That is not a genius level math problem. It is the story of a battle started about 5 years ago. I have blogged about it many times in many ways. It's a battle most of us face at some point. But, what worked for me probably won't work for you.

I went from a size 16 to a size 10 in about 2 years!!!!!!!

I am trying to remember when the 16 jeans were finally loose and I was able to wear the 14 jeans. I am pretty sure it was about 3 years ago. But, the story of my post-baby weight has to start with the baby. In June of 2009.

I was 118lbs when I got pregnant with Zach. I gained 24 pounds in pregnancy. Meaning, I was 142lbs when Zach was born. I actually lost the weight in three weeks. 120lbs when Zach was about 3 weeks old. So, feeling sexy, I ordered a few bikinis and swim suits from Victoria Secret in a size 10. My size at the time.

There is a picture in the bathroom. Zach is jumping into my waiting arms at the pool on vacation. He was 2 at the time and I was wearing one of the one piece swimsuits. So, I have proof that in 2011 I was still a size 10.

I don't remember when I started gaining weight. I am pretty sure it was when he was about 3 years old. I do know I was a size 16 at some point. Depression hit in the changing room that day. When the 14s were just a tiny bit tight but the 16s were just right. So, I got the size 16s. But, I also got size 14s. I might loose weight.

At my biggest I was 153lbs. I got plenty of exercise, I mostly eat healthy, It was rare I ate large quantities. What was the problem? Below is a blog post I did on my thyroid battle. Originally, I tried to guess how long the weight battle went on for. This post helped narrow down the details. I thought it was 3 or 4 years. It sure felt that way! I turns out it was almost but not quite 2 years!

 It's in the family, I had a hypoactive thyroid in the past. It was the only explanation. But, the bloodwork was always normal. I even saw an endocrinologist. I was textbook for a hypoactive thyroid. The bloodwork confused him.

Then I got my second blood test that was abnormal for the thyroid. BAM! My regular doctor was finally about to put me on Levothyroxine! It got me down to 148lbs. Then nothing I did worked for two years.

But, this past May (2016) they changed the label on the Levothyroxine. No antacids within 4 hours of taking it! I take Ranitidine for GERD twice a day. That's an antacid I have right before breakfast and dinner.

So I started tracking when I took the Levothyroxine. I have to take it in the middle of the night. When I wake up. 2 hours after the last time I consumed something and 4 hours before dairy and the Ranitidine. Meaning, 4 hours before breakfast.

This is the part I recommend everyone dieting try. I also stopped drinking anything with bubbles in it. They just bothered my GERD anyway. I still drink peach Snapple at lunch though so we can't say I'm drinking better. Just nothing carbonated.

I also am finding myself craving more water. I've tried that before. I know drinking a lot of water is supposed to help you loose weight but it never worked for me. But, without the carbonation I find myself thirsty more often. So, water it is! I also think it has contributed to my success.

I started this past summer in a size 12 swimsuit but size 14 shorts. But, just before August, I noticed the suit was a little loose. So I put on those size 10 swimsuits I had gotten right after Zach was born. They fit!!!!! That's when I put on the size 12 shorts which also fit! I had gotten the size 12 jeans when I started wearing the size 14s. Just in case. It's funny, in 2016 I started the summer as a size 14 swimsuit but at the end of July I fit into the size 12 swimsuit I started this summer with.

It's been about 6 and a half months since I changed how I take the medication. Now, I have a dry erase board in the bedroom to track when I can take the Levothyroxine and when I can take the Ranitidine.

You may have noticed a pattern. With each new pants size I got jeans in the size smaller just in case. I didn't do that when I reached a size 12. I honestly never thought I would be smaller then that again. But, last week I weighed in at 141lbs at the doctor's office. Yesterday, I noticed those 12s were loose.

So today I hit Kohl's. Armed with rewards cash and a 25% off coupon, I tried on those size 10 short strait leg relaxed fit Lee jeans. They are the same ones I have been wearing in all the sizes.

BAM!

THEY FIT!!!!!!!

From a size 16 to a size 10 in less then 2 years!

This is a battle that for the longest time felt unwinnable. If you are trying to loose weight I do suggest ditching anything carbonated and drinking more water. But, I think the biggest factor in my success was when they changed the instruction on the medication!!!

I had started buying cloths for my bigger body. Now, I might go to the garage and try to dig out some of my favorite smaller things. The new cloths are just too loose! I can't stop smiling about it!!! My personal goal is to make it down to 120lbs. It's still a long shot. But, it not longer feels unreachable!

http://homewithmommy-fran.blogspot.com/2016/06/the-mysterious-thyroid.html

No comments:

Post a Comment