Wednesday, December 13, 2017

Alabama's Lesson

Last night I saw something I never thought I'd see in my lifetime. Alabama choose a democrat for Senator. I had read some interviews before the election. Some women were still voting for Moore out of hopes the governor would replace him with a different republican. It seemed like that blind trust that got Trump elected was going to peak out again.

But, black lives mattered. Their votes mattered. So did a failed write in campaign by a different republican. Educated big city people, some women, and minorities said "Jones is worth it".  They did their research. They learned about the candidates. They said, "child predator is a deal breaker".

It's going to be a really long audition for him. He's going to have to defend that seat really soon. It can very easily go red again. But, if he does it right, he might hold onto it too. For deep south Doug Jones the key is going to be focusing on the economy and avoiding controversial social views.

He also very well could have written the playbook to how the south and west were won ................ by democrats. To take and keep some of these risky seats we as a party need to have flexibility on social issues and focus on the economy. For some people pro-choice is a deal breaker. But, the people in these states that are pro-choice want a candidate that agrees with them too. Compromise? Pro birth control but anti abortion unless under the most deadly or extreme circumstances. Maybe. People like Jones are the ones to take leads from when trying to change voter minds in these red states. That new governor of Virginia too.

It led to an interesting discussion on a facebook board I am on. In my congressional district we are tired of the republican representative that never hold town halls and never listens when we call. He is up against a few democrats and one republican in 2018. The democrat I know in person and really liked has dropped out. So I asked generally, who are you voting for and why in the June primary?

Almost all of the answers are for the frontrunner. A few people were like me, researching before deciding. This frontrunner has never been a politician but has a good record for it. I can understand the support. But still I hesitate to support her.

One woman helped me realize that my two reservations were really out of a sense that she would judge me for being a stay at home mom. Most people with her work background judge people's value based on their job and/or income. This friend encouraged me to write this candidate. Maybe this concern will be addressed.

Another women made a good point too. I don't trust this candidate but I don't know why. I want to. I just don't. The original reasons I gave for reservations were based on that lack of trust. Maybe in time that will change too.

Don't get me wrong. If she is the democratic candidate in November I am very quickly hitting that button for her. I have reservations but I also have some positive views too! But, the primaries matter.

It's a lesson from Alabama. Unless you know the candidates well, learn about them. See what you are getting into. I bet some who voted for Moore in the primary would have voted for Strange in the primary instead if this came out earlier. But, then the seat would have remained red.

Now we can learn some lessons from Doug Jones and the voters who wanted him. Keep in mind these voters had to fight a lot of voter suppression tactics too! I really wonder what it would have looked like without voter suppression!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment