Saturday, June 11, 2016

The Mysterious Thyroid

Every once in a while over the last 6 years I have done a blog post on my diet struggles. You can read a lot about the ups and downs. I'll do the quick version in blue below. If you know about them already, go ahead and skip the blue.

So I was born with Selective Eating Disorder. It sounds like simple picky eating but it's more then that. Blog post below. I also had a 9 year long eating disorder. 80 lbs at 5' 1" freshman year in HS. 98lbs and age 24 on my wedding day (5' 3" by then). My body will forever be in survival mode.

http://homewithmommy-fran.blogspot.com/2016/03/selective-eating-dilemma.html

For the last two years I have been overweight at 5' 3" 153 pounds. Activity level and eating habits couldn't change that amount. I KNEW I had a thyroid issue. The doctor knew it was a thyroid issue. He sent me to an Endocrinologist. HE knew it was a thyroid issue. The Endocrinologist said:

"All of your symptoms point to a thyroid issue but it would show in the bloodwork. After my testing I can't find anything."

I even requested a thyroid ultrasound to check on things. Thyroid issues are highly genetic and we have some in my Dad's side of the family. I had a hypoactive thyroid before I got pregnant with Zach. Why wasn't it showing in the bloodwork?

The doctor does bloodwork every 3 - 6 months to keep an eye on a few things. He's currently monitoring for diabetes. At the end on March I did some fasting bloodwork. When you wake up starving at 5am every day you tend not to agree to fasting bloodwork. This time I agreed to it.

Sure enough.................high enough to try a low dose medication. I have lost 8 lbs in 2 months. I was a size 16 and am now a 14. 145 lbs at 5' 3" I'm still overweight but a lot closer to a healthy weight!!! I haven't changed my diet and exercise habits. The only change has been that thyroid medication.

I don't know why it took so long for the thyroid issue to show it's face. The doctor says you don't have to fast for thyroid. I once got a high result in a non-fasting test. However, it wasn't high 6 months later.  It wasn't even that high in the blood work this time. But, it clearly was the problem. He couldn't medicate me until the bloodwork showed it. Insurance company rules. But, I look and feel a lot better in a lot of ways!!! It will always be a mystery to me how the thyroid issue was so clear physically but not showing in the bloodwork. But the mystery has been solved!

No comments:

Post a Comment