Friday, June 17, 2016

Last Day of Year 2 of 13

Before Zach started Kindergarten I said the following:

"K - 12 are the most important 13 years of your life"

You learn, grow and mature a lot both before and after. However, these years influence those. Before it's about getting ready for K - 12. After, lessons you have learned in school and at home influence your decisions. Things that happen in your life during that time shape what's after.

Today is Zach's last day as a first grader. Year 2 of 13 is ending. His teacher is amazing. Her classroom management is strong. Zach always knew what was expected of him and what was coming next. He thrived in her classroom. We are both eternally grateful to her for that.

We both have had mixed feelings since the start of June. We are both looking forward to finding out who will be his second grade teacher. Both are also amazing teachers. It doesn't matter. But, today he finds out who she is. It's very exciting!!! I never had that. It might be the same town but classes were a lot smaller. His grade has 33 kids and two teachers. My grade had 17 - 19 kids and one teacher. So we always knew who we had each year long before the last day of school!

Zach gets his report card this afternoon. He always does well and I know he's been working hard. I know I won't be disappointed! He was classified as gifted in math earlier in the year. I know he's been enjoying the more challenging math work!

I have been feeling sick all week. On Wednesday I realized it was a panic attack. Yes, all week. I'm not worried about how he'll do next year. Neither is he. We are both looking forward to next year. It's hard saying goodbye to such a wonderful teacher. But, I know he'll have a wonderful teacher next year too.

Is it because he's getting bigger? Maybe. But, being there for him every step of the way is fantastic! He had an assignment in computer class earlier this week. What was your favorite thing about first grade. His answer, library class. He told me it's because that's that class I helped in every week.

It's the last day of school. Most people are a mix of happy, sad, excited, and nostalgic. I've been shaking nonstop with an endless knot in my stomach. I'll modify the class cheer:

A
W
E
S
O
M
E

AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME

ZACHARY!!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment