Wednesday, June 08, 2016

Zach's Easy Path

In March I did a blog post called "The Path To A Moment":

http://homewithmommy-fran.blogspot.com/2016/03/the-path-to-moment.html

Three years ago I talked about "Watching Zach" in a different blog post. It was about how I watched him then. But, in it, I mentioned a vision I had of Zach playing baseball on this one big field in town. It's the field for middle school kids.

"The Path To A Moment" was about his first baseball practice ever. We didn't know what to expect of this season. I didn't know how he would feel about baseball. I wanted to encourage it without being pushy. Baseball is good for his asthma. It means he can catch his breath sometimes. Even MLB players have a chance to catch their breath. While he's still young and exploring interests, I wanted to expose him to the things that he'll be able to do at an advanced level without struggling to breath.

Zach loved baseball. He loved being on a team. He loved learning more about baseball. It's an environment he thrived in. He said he wants to consider doing the summer program. We got him a T and found our gloves. He liked practicing at the apartment too sometimes. He loved the games most of all.

Frankly, so did I. I told myself when I was pregnant that I would never be THAT mom. It's not easy to really define what I mean. If you're at a game though, you probably know who THAT mom is. I was very much THAT mom.

There I was behind the bench with the kids and some dads. Helping keep the kids in batting order. Cheering for each one by name when they did something well. Loud and proud. I didn't insult anyone from the other team. I encouraged them too. That's Rookie ball. But, I wasn't subtle.

Zach had a batting pattern. We did 3 innings. Each kid swung the bat until they hit the ball. Sometimes a T was required. The coaches pitched. Zach had trouble with his first at bat.......every game. His second at bat was better.......every game. His third at bat led to a good hit on the first or second pitch.....every game.

I saw every kid improve throughout the season. I was the parent taking pictures on opening day. Zach noticed his improvement too. After the last game he said "I don't want it to end". He misses his teammates. He's repeatedly said he is "definitely doing baseball next year!"



So far, the path to THIS moment is easy! This moment might not happen. It was a flash of a vision I had when my son was four. It was a very specific vision. Sometimes when I have those they come true. But, not always. There will be bumps on this path. He might not make the travel team if he tries out for one when he's older. I just hope he doesn't let those bumps hold him back. I know if he makes it to this moment, he'll be proud of himself. Maybe when he's done with that moment he'll reflect on the path he took to get there. It starts with this season.

No comments:

Post a Comment