Friday, October 20, 2017

Cats Crochet

I posted about a month ago about my crochet project. A blanket for each season. I have completed three and am making good progress on the fourth. Each blanket has a story. So I am doing this post in two parts. The first part includes pictures and stories. The second part will be the pattern I have been using plus some extras for those who crochet.

The name of the pattern is "Row of Cats". Hence the name for the post.  At one point I had a box full of yarn for these blankets. Zach called it a "cat's swimming pool". I responded to that "meow" for laughs.


Part 1

In a way, I can't tell the story of the fall blanket without the summer blanket. Originally, this wasn't going to be seasonal. In August, I decided to make a bright colored blanket. It was to help fight depression especially in the winter. But, it is very much a summer blanket and as Labor Day was approaching I decided it would be more comforting to make seasonal blankets.

I was right! This is a very comfortable blanket. It matches a lot around the room because of decorating. I rushed to finish it quickly. September had started and I wanted it ASAP!!! I take more comfort in monthly and seasonal things anyway. It was completed before my birthday!




That blog post from a month ago was about the winter blanket. An OCD mind. I took you into my thought process. Because these aren't the original colors. Those were too rough in texture. The blue in the final winter blanket is from Zach's blanket. The one I made him while figuring out the real colors for the winter blanket. So this story is mostly told already.

With each stripe I got happier and happier with the choices. It's also very soft too. I can see it in my closet from the bed. I smile as I look at it. Remembering how I landed with this.



Originally, I planned to do spring next. Because I would need it before summer. But the summer blanket had spent six weeks on my couch a third of the way completed. So, I decided to do that next. But, summer would have to share my attention.

While I worked on this blanket, I also made the 8 hats for the baby and toddler charity my mom volunteers with. I blogged about that before too. But, I still finished it sooner then I expected. Tuesday evening before dinner. It's tucked away in the couch with the summer bed linens.


Which brings me to my current blanket, spring. I average 3 stripes a day. Meaning, I should complete this before Halloween. But, that's going to take willpower. I have my next project. I need to knit a cowl for myself. I have some but there is one thing I still need a cowl for. The yarn arrives tomorrow. It's going to be hard for me to not start that project before finishing this.

My Dad vocalized my first thought when he saw it. "It looks like a baby blanket." Have you seen spring colors? Any color combination was going to look a little like a baby blanket. But, it will make sense with spring decorations around. To me, it's more Easter. My spring sheets and comforter are gray, navy, and white. They need something to cheer it up anyway.


Part 2

Before I post the pattern, some notes:

1. I made these 72" long and 52" wide. Full blankets but really only enough room for one person. You can modify to make it bigger or smaller. The math is included in the pattern. I made Zach's blanket this size too.

2. I used Red Heart Supersaver yarn. Even with the winter yarn troubles I will use that yarn for this in the future. Just, be careful what colors to use. You can use any worsted weight 4 yarn you want but that changes the math.

Example, Lion's Brand comparable yarn uses a "J" hook so it's a little bigger. The stitches are bigger so fewer stitches are needed to get to the same length. You're on your own figuring out how many to chain though! Warning, it gets wider once row 2 is done.

At least with this yarn I have given you the math needed to make it the width you want. Length is up to you. I find the first and last stripes are 1" and the middle stripes are 2" each.

3. "I" hook (5.5mm). My brand of preference is Boye but that's the size no matter the brand.

4. After the first two rows, you can easily do it with something else going on in the background. Even with my processing disorder I am able to fully understand a new episode of a favorite TV show, for example.

5. With the Red Heart yarn it took 6 skeins of the main color and 3 each of the other two colors. That's in the chart below. I had one of these for each blanket. When I competed a stripe and had set it up for the new color, I crossed out the number for the new color on the sheet. Once a skein is complete, I crossed out the whole row on my sheet.

The numbers are the number of stripes you can get out of each skein. It helped me also track how much was left. It's how I know I can finish the spring blanket before Halloween. I have been doing 3 stripes a day. Because of this sheet, I know I have 9 days left. 8 if I do four a day for two of them.


Blue         1            2            3          4

Pink                1            2            3

Blue                1            2            3

Green             1            2            3

 

Blue                1            2            3

Pink                1            2            3

Blue                1            2            3

Green             1            2            3

 

Blue                1            2           3

Pink                1            2            3

Blue                1          2          3         

Green             1            2            3


The Pattern:

Row of Cats Afghan
52" ABAC Pattern Lapghan 48" chain 120
Chain: inches x 2.5 Full 60" Chain 148
52": Draw up a loop = through the space
Main color = 6 skeins
Other Colors = 3 skeins
draw through loops = the loops already on the hook
Chain 132
Row 1:  DC in 4th chain from the hook
Skip 2 CH
2DC in next chain
CH 1
2 DC in next chain
Skip 2 chains
repeat orange until 2 chains left
DC in last 2 chains
Row 2 Chain 3 (counts as 1st DC)
DC in next DC
2DC in the space under the next chain stitch (btw 2DC and 2DC)
CH 1
2DC in the space under the next chain stitch (btw 2DC and 2DC)
repeat orange until 2 chains left
DC in last DC
DC in turning chain
Change Color
Row 3 Chain 3 (counts as 1st DC)
DC in next DC
In space 2 rows below between shells follow green
yo and draw up a loop (3 on hook when complete)
yo and draw through 2 loops on hook (2 on hook when complete)
yo and draw up a second loop in the same space ( 4 on hook when complete)
yo and draw through 2 loops on hook (3 on hook when complete)
yo and draw through all 3 loops ( 1 on hook when complete)
2DC in the space under the next chain stitch (btw 2DC and 2DC)
CH 1
2DC in the space under the next chain stitch (btw 2DC and 2DC)
repeat green & orange until 2 chains left
DC in last DC
DC in turning chain
Rows 4 and 5: Repeat row 2
Change color
Repeat rows 3, 4, and 5 in pattern
end w/ rows 3 & 4 in next color
A   B   A   C   A   B   A   C   A   B   A   C  A   B   
A   C   A   B   A   C   A   B   A   C   A   B   A   C   A   B   A   C   A

No comments:

Post a Comment