Friday, November 27, 2015

I Forgot To Tell You

Zach has six actual socks right now. Not even six pairs. Literally, six socks. He's been in this sock size for three years. At the time, we got him about 30 pairs. I did that knowing he'll be in this sock size for a few years. I didn't want to have the same sock issues I have with his father. Apparently, that was unavoidable.

He's known for a while that he's short on socks. If he said something, I would have gotten him more socks. I even has a pack in my hand in front of him a couple of weeks ago. I put it back saying "Nah, he has plenty of socks". He didn't say a word.

We throw them out as they get holes in them. He's also lost some. It's reasonable that he needs new socks. It's not reasonable that he expects me to just know that. Of course I came to this revelation on the night before Thanksgiving. We don't shop on black weekend. We used to work retail on black weekend at a place that sold toys. I'm not going to do the black weekend nightmare for a pack of socks.

He's gonna have to wait until Wednesday. Why Wednesday? Because we grocery shop on Monday and have the holiday shop at school on Tuesday. Mixed in with other things. There simply isn't a time sooner. So he goes one more week with three pairs of socks.

Josh does this too. Josh will offer to do and fold laundry when he knows there is at least one sock with a hole in the laundry basket. I always find out about his need for socks. But he's always down to four pairs when I do! Why does he expect me to know at all times if he needs new socks, jeans, underwear or sneakers?

Why does Zach ALSO expect me to just know when he needs new things too? I can't just know, you have to tell me. If they told me before it became a big problem, I could shop sales. That saves a lot of money.

Josh used to do that with groceries. Things like his shower stuff. We have an excel spreadsheet. We highlight in yellow what we need, orange to check the sales, green if we normally check the sales but have a lot of, and blue if I have a coupon for it. Hardly anything was in orange. But I got tired of him being completely out of deodorant and it not being on sale that week. So now that sheet is almost all yellow and orange. If it's on a good sale, it's in the apartment later that day!

It's one thing I appreciate about my dad. He lets my Mom know when things are running low. Because of that, she saves a lot of money shopping sales and using coupons. I'm happy to make sure my guys have these basic necessities, but I need to know about it before it gets critical.

Josh wears jeans and sneakers to work. He goes through the jeans and sneakers very quickly. He can't have them be in poor condition at work. He needs to look professional. I can't make sure he looks his best for work if he's forgetting to tell me when he needs something replaced.

When Zach was a lot younger I put out his cloths for him. I had a good feel for what he had and what he needed. Now, his drawers are unorganized and he chooses his cloths himself each day. He has a laundry basket in his room that his cloths don't always make it in. It's possible he didn't tell me because he didn't know he was short on socks.

He's always wearing socks. It wasn't until Wednesday night when we were doing laundry that we found out. I decided to count how many socks he actually has. I only found two socks in the wash!
With starting out with so many pairs I thought he'd at least still have six pairs.

 "If you see something, say something" is generally good advice. It's not just about calling police over anything suspicious. If you see something that is wearing out, say something before it's unusable! It's officially the holiday shopping season. Chances are that underwear, pants, shoes, and/or socks are on sale now. If you say it now, it's a lot cheaper then if you say something on January 2nd. It might not have a hole yet, but you can see the rip forming. Speaking up now is better then waiting until that hole is there and the jeans can't be worn.

Yes, that's an actual example! Josh's sneaker history would require it's own blog post. If I'm drinking wine when typing it, it would be a funny blog post too. Like father, like son, "Mommy, I forgot to tell you..................................".

No comments:

Post a Comment