Monday, November 23, 2015

A Complicated Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday. That makes this year's post very hard to write. I've already covered the following:

1. Anger over stores being open
2. Traditions
3. History of Thanksgiving (which every adult American recites in their sleep on Thanksgiving-eve because we've heard it so much).

I've been asking myself, "what's new to say?" Most Thanksgiving traditions are similar. I thought about posting recipes for our Thanksgiving foods. Then I remember that no one cares when I post recipes on this blog. The only recipe that was popular was my Lo-So Pasta Vinaigrette recipe. That was popular in France. We all have our own recipes for favorite holiday meals. My Mom's are basic. They are good if it's your first time hosting Thanksgiving. But their OUR family recipes, not yours.

That led to another train of thought. Recently, I have considered going to cooking school. I could never handle actually being a professional chef. But, I think it would be a fun experience. It's hard for me to experience stuff. Life is scary. Experiences are scary. What if the kitchen for the cooking class is on the second floor or higher? I needed a note from a Psychologist to get my college classes in classrooms I could get to. A kitchen isn't a generic classroom. You can move a Human Resources class. Not a cooking class.

I'll talk about how it's the first Thanksgiving Josh is working. Luckily, he'll be done in time for dinner. I don't mind grocery stores being open on Thanksgiving. Target and Kohl's have no excuse. But, food is a major part of Thanksgiving. I can understand grocery stores being open for a while.

Perhaps my "what to say" dilemma shows one of the many reasons Thanksgiving is my favorite. Routine is comfort for someone with OCD. Traditions are comfort. I enjoy it because I know what to expect. I know who will be there without asking. I know what the food will be without asking. It's one of the few things that are predictable in my life right now. I need that!

There is this graphic on facebook that reminds people that there is no point to posting pictures of your Thanksgiving dinner. For the most part, we're eating the same thing. But that's not completely true. I'd like to see pictures of those special sides. I've talked about ours, Stuffed Mushrooms. These are the sides that are unique to your table. Most of us have Turkey, cranberry, rolls/bread, mashed potatoes, and stuffing. Usually, there is also some form of green bean casserole. It's the other stuff that are special sides.

I guess we all have something complicated about Thanksgiving. A person that you have to be nice to but don't actually like. Food you are expected to eat but don't actually like. A stressful trip. Having to be apart from your family's celebration. Making conversation with someone you have nothing in common with. There will be at least one awkward moment.

My biggest complication is the tip toe talk. I'm quirky and proud of it! I haven't accomplished much and I sense I'm done accomplishing all I'm going to accomplish. There won't be another kid, a house, or a job promotion. The next big moment in my life will be death. I would be a very boring person without my quirks. I'm a literal and honest person. I can't talk about religion and politics with many people. Those I can talk about these things with are calming to be around. So what does an honest and literal person add to a polite conversation?

At the moment, "I'm thinking about going to cooking school". Not a night class thing. The cooking school for soon-to-be professionals. Of course, I stop making sense when the next question is "why?" I tend not to make sense without giving too much information. I don't do subtle. I've tried. It didn't work. So blunt, honest, and literal it is!

Luckily, one relative that's coming crochets. Instant safe topic! We can only talk about how big Zach is for about an hour. After talking about my cousin's last year of college, it's on to work talk. I'm out of that conversation. We could make a drinking game out of the food compliments though. That's only a good idea if we can all stay over. My Mom is a REALLY good cook!

No comments:

Post a Comment