Thursday, September 10, 2015

Then The Rain Comes

For weeks the temperatures were in the 90s and sunny. For this area, we don't get temperatures that hot for long. Sometimes, we get them from mid-July through mid-August. That comes with a scatter in mid-late September for Indian summer. Some years never hit the 90s. But this year it did.....and lingered.

Then, today, the rain came. It's nice that it's 75 instead of 95. It was 95 on Tuesday. We can expect more rain and more temperatures in the low 80s and 70s in the next few days. With the relief the rain is bringing comes another relief.

Comfort

Calm

Routine

I'm back to helping at the school. Zach is adjusting to the new school routines. It's a familiar place. It's activities we both find comfort in. That routine also calms us. That lack of routine in August rattles our nerves. Now, we are both settled again.

I literally felt my demeanor transform when I walked into the library yesterday. I had time before pick-up today so I went back to help some more. It's a comforting place for me. It's frees my OCD.

I have also started with preparing for other things I volunteered to help with. Picture day is on Tuesday. I'll be there either all morning or all afternoon. That depends on Zach's time. I have given input for possible school spirit wear. We are waiting to see what the designer comes up with to choose a theme. One of my ideas is an option. Starting October 1st I will be helping with parent lunches sometimes.

I have more coming. I am excited about all of it! Being in this environment, helping in these ways calms my nerves. I'm a different person when helping at the school. Being around these kids makes me so happy! I feel like I am where I belong. Doing what God wants me to do. Some people look for their calling. This feels like it's mine.

Because it frees my OCD. I've talked about my obsessions and compulsions before. Helping at the school in any way frees my OCD. But, the library does that the most. It is all about organization. I have a method. First I check books in. Then I put them on top of the shelves where they will go. Last, I put them away. When the kids are ready for checking out books, I'm right there for that too. I get to see each one face to face. Smile at each of them. Talk to them. Get to know who they are as a person.

Organizing calms me. Because everything has a place and I can put it there. My nerves are rattled by chaos. But that's okay. Because the chaos goes away when the books are on top of their shelves, ready to be put away.

The repetition calms my compulsions. It's not just about order, it's about getting it in order using a certain method. The librarian loves me and says my approach is very helpful and very effective. She appreciates all the extra help I give.

Zach and I both need the stability of routine to have the energy to do more of what we need to. We both get lazy when we go too long without routine. It's just not worth the effort without routine. With each passing day he seems happier and calmer. It's more comfortable inside and out here, literally. With the rain, comes inner peace.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Fran,

    I am so happy for you and glad you started volunteering in the library and other activities at school. It is better than any pill would be.

    Love,

    Mom

    ReplyDelete