Sunday, June 16, 2013

Happy Father's Day 2013!

It was really a Father's Weekend for Josh. I asked if he wanted to be a guest blogger but he said "no". Maybe next year. I would have loved to read his thoughts on Fatherhood. But here's his weekend. It started with the school play on Friday. For the Dads/Grandpas/Uncles they do a few songs. It's unclear what two of them were but one was "One Thing" by One Direction. They did that for the Moms/Grandmas/Aunts too. My Dad and Josh's Dad went as well.

Friday afternoon was a mix of family time and Daddy time. I spent a lot of time this weekend saying "whatever you want to do". We went to Applebee's for dinner and while Josh paid, Zach and I walked to Dick's Sporting Goods in the same plaza. On the way there Zach said he wanted to get Daddy a basketball. Once there we decided on a Soccer ball. Zach was so cute trying to choose between the two. Even after he decided the smart salesman put them both in the back not just the one. The plan was for me to pay while Josh took Zach to the car.

We really don't need sports stuff. During that time 5 years ago between the 3rd miscarriage and Zach's conception we collected a lot of sports stuff as we picked the casual form of these Sports up. This is what we got back then:

1. Josh a glove since I had one (we recently got Zach one in his size)
2. Baseballs
3. A Soccer ball
4. A Basketball
5. A Football
6. A Ball Air Pump
7. A Tennis Racket for Josh (I had one and Zach got one for his birthday in his size)
8. Tennis Balls
9. Hockey Sticks (Zach has one too)
10. Hockey Street Balls
11. A Volleyball
12. Basic Golf Gear for Josh which he only putters with a little now. Zach has a kiddie one

We mostly played catch with the Baseball and Football, one on one Basketball, one on one Hockey, and Tennis. So it was going to be hard to find a sports thing Daddy would use. The spare Soccer ball made sense since sometimes during Daddy time they use the nets at the Middle School and other times they just kick it back and forth by the garage. It was a reasonable thing to have two of. Especially since Zach got a small kiddie net for his birthday.

While Josh brought Zach to the car I decided to throw in a couple of little things. I got a spare baseball since they are easy to loose and I got a rubber baseball. Zach is learning to catch and the rubber ball might be easier for him. When Zach took up Gardening and Decorating with me Josh said he wanted to do more Sports things with him to bond too. He appreciated them. It didn't take long for Zach to claim the Soccer ball. I was glad to have the baseballs as backup.

We went to Target after and on the way I told Josh about a gift idea that was floating around but I was uncertain about. I wanted to get him his own Transformer. He travels back to his childhood when playing with Zach so originally I envisioned getting him an "old school" transformer. I just mentioned a Transformer and he said a small one would be great. While there, I grabbed a couple but knowing Zach decided on a backup plan with a BANG!

Big Bang that is. A few months ago we were talking about what guy things Josh can do with Zach to counter the Gardening and Decorating while watching Big Bang. That's when we thought of Sports and got Zach his Baseball Mitt and Hockey Stick. Josh also told me about his childhood interests including comic books. Across from the Transformers was a Target Exclusive "Justice League" set. They had: Superman, The Flash, and Green Lantern. We went to the other nearby Target for Batman and I got him Spiderman too.

The Transformers went from "Daddy's" to "Zach's" soon after he got them. Josh decided Zach can just have them.  Zach played with the Super Heroes but has no problem with them being Daddy's. Those he lets Josh keep on his dresser the Transformers had to stay in Zach's room. Josh loved all of them and already plans to get three other Justice League figures when they come out! I know Aquaman and Wonder Woman but I forgot the other one. I think there are only five more Justice League Super Heroes in all.

But he didn't just get baseballs and toys. We used my L.L. Bean backpack from the 6th grade all the time but it got a stain in it that was staining everything that touched it and not coming out. So I ordered him one with his initials. He's declared it his favorite gift! He'll use it almost every day. A close second is the new rain jacket that replaced a broken one. The last gift was a little touch......a $10 Subway gift card with a story. One night we were talking while driving and ended up at the Subway across from his work. Work was closed the next day so it was for the better. Josh would have had work on his head all the next day but doing that trip reset him. He works over an hour away so while at that Subway we used the bathroom. I quickly got the gift card while he was there. He already knows when he's going to treat himself to lunch. It's within walking distance of his warehouse.

Saturday and Sunday was more of "what do you want to do?" with him choosing to just do the same things he usually does. He likes his routine. All I can do is ask what he wants and give him the reasonable things. I tried to make the weekend as wonderful for him as possible.

Zach keeps saying the toys were from him and so was Applebee's dinner tonight. It's where Josh wanted dinner. We ran into Zach's friend from school on the way out and chatted for a while. Another Dad enjoying the day!

Later, while Zach was playing with the Transformers, I reminded Josh that a child getting a parent toys for Mother's/Father's Day is like a Husband getting his wife Lingerie for a gift. After dinner Zach wanted to "get Daddy another Father's Day gift so can we go to Toys 'R' Us?" We went back to Target with the dinner change and I got a basket to keep his Super Heroes in and a water bottle where you freeze the top to keep the water cold. Combined they were under $10 including tax.

Since Josh hasn't stopped smiling I assume he enjoyed the weekend. He's playing with Zach right now. That's how a Parent's day should end. Spending fun time with your kid(s). I called mine but he wasn't around to visit. I'll see him this week and show him how much I love him. What my Dad really wants is time with Zach. It's all he ever asks for. When Zach was a baby, all my Dad wanted was to hold him and rock him to sleep for a birthday gift. I also made him my famous "hidden strawberry" Super Strawberry Shortcake. I'll be making them this year too. Josh's Dad got a Dick's gift card for Fishing gear. He likes when that's what we give him. He too loves spending time with all his Grandkids. To all Father's out there HAPPY FATHER'S DAY

No comments:

Post a Comment