Thursday, July 21, 2011

Zach's First Vacation

We just got back from Zach's first ever vacation. We didn't know what to expect but he's a "go with the flow" kind of kid and instead of being overstimulated he was enjoying every minute. Until he fell out of the bed. I'll get back to that later. On Monday we drove down to Ocean City, NJ. It's a beautiful family place (exit 30 on the parkway). No alcohol is sold in the city so it's not like there are loud drunks on the boardwalk either. We went there as a family when we were kids. Josh and I went about a month before I got pregnant with Zach. It was way better with a kid!!!

We stayed at the Impala Hotel which is like 30 steps from the boardwalk. I have always loved the boardwalk and Zach did too. Not long after we arrived we went on the boardwalk for lunch. We walked on the boardwalk so much including a long walk to my favorite breakfast place, Bob's. I was able to stick to my diet (except for the 1/2 a small frozen custard I shared with Zach two days making it only 1 small frozen custard in all (sold at Korhs) and with all that boardwalk walking (4 miles Monday, 6 Tuesday, 8 Wednesday, and 4 today) I guess I lost weight. My pants are a little looser at least. It's just so easy to loose track of how far you are walking. We topped it off today with letting Zach go on one of those electric rides where you put in 50 cents and it just moves a little. He went to jump off but I held him for it. It was Bert and Ernie an a fire truck. The sun was in our eyes today when we took these so sorry for the squinting.





The boardwalk is where we did some shopping. The first day we got Zach an Elmo hoodie. It's just Elmo's face on a red hoodie. My mom had been talking about getting him one so I wanted to beat her to it just to make sure I'd like it. We got him a small and a medium. The medium was for when he gets bigger. That was an afterthought after we got a matching Big Bird for me and a Count for Josh. Zach loves that we're the Sesame Street family and people did ask me where we got them. They press them in the store, Ocean City Memories, right there. We also found the cap store Josh and I were addicted to last time so we got Zach Yankees and Giants hats in youth size since he's grown out of his toddler size. I got a Giants visor to match my Yankee visor. It's Philly territory so the Giants got dirty looks since they are Philadelphia Eagles fans there, bitter division rivals. Zach wore the Giants proudly and made us proud when he stared at someone in an Eagles jacket, daring them to say something. They didn't. They don't mind selling a lot of Yankee stuff though since we're not really Philly rivals. Except for beating them in the 2009 World Series, Philly fans don't mind the Yankee stuff but do mind the Giants stuff. There are absolutely no Devil things down there since the hockey team is the bitter rival Flyers.

We didn't really buy anything else. I got, as planned, seashells, a crab and lobsters (plastic) for yard decorations. We just have a pool party/ BBQ sign and needed more to it. Zach was walking around the hotel room in my flip flops well so we got him his own. They are big enough where he'll wear them next year too. We also spent a lot of the time at the nice pool. Zach loved that too especially jumping into an adult's arms. Josh and I prefer the pool so the only time we went to the beach was the day we arrived to see Zach there for his first time at the beach.

He loved playing in the sand too. He would build a "cake" with a pail then smash it with his hand. He loves Cake Boss on TLC. With Grandma, who loves the beach, he made a boat Tuesday and Wednesday. For Tuesday and Wednesday he went after snack time with Grandma to the beach. It was a special time for them. Pop went for a little while but he doesn't like the beach either. Most of the time we found him at the pool when we came back from an early lunch so we would swim with him for a while before nap.





Now is the fun part, sleeping. I mentioned earlier that Zach fell out of the bed. Well, the original plan was for him and Josh to snuggle. I would be quiet with my glass of wine and the TV low. His regular bedtime is 9:00 (that's when he is asleep routine starts with snack at 8) as a reference. At 8:30 we put a snack out for him. The kid finally fell asleep at 10:30!!!!! He was riled by the three new Cake Boss episodes we watched. About an hour later he rolled out of Josh's arms and onto the floor. I rushed to get him off the floor and we switch who his snuggle buddy was. Josh is a heavy sleeper (big kick to the butt for wake ups regularly) but I'm a light sleeper (who is doing the kicking when his alarm goes off each morning). He lasted another hour and a half with me. Finally, we snuggled as a family. I know we could have surrounded him with pillows but frankly, I don't think they would have worked since Zach's a mover.







Now I leave you with a touching Ocean City kid memory. When I was 8 we were there and it rained one day. Hugh loves rides so he went with Mom to do rides and stuff. I never liked rides so my Dad took me to see Honey I Shrunk The Kids (Disney starring Rich Moranis) on opening day. They were sold out. To cheer me up my Dad got me a big lollipop. Hugh got jealous and wanted one too so Mom got him one. It's not the lollipop that makes this day special. It was the look on my Father's face as he looked down at me while thinking of what to do right after we found out the movie was sold out. I'll never forget it. We were walking on the boardwalk and he was trying to find a way to make the day special for me since he wanted to make me happy. All it took was that lollipop, and the loving look on his face. I'm proud to be a Daddy's girl and moments like that remind me of the bond I share with my Father that I cherish so much.


I'm happy Zach's a Mommy's boy. Josh got the son he hopped for but I got the Mommy's boy. On the way home, Zach started to say "pee pee potty change change pee pee potty" so my mom pulled over (we went in my car with Zach and Josh and my dad went in her car) I took out the potty and dropped his shorts. He peed on the side of the road facing oncoming traffic. Quickly and thoroughly. About 30 minutes after a big pee at the rest stop. Including a wet diaper on the drive home he had three wet diapers all week. That includes overnight. He's a lean me pee pee in the potty machine now!!! It was hilarious to watch him peeing on the side of the road.


No comments:

Post a Comment