Monday, July 04, 2011

4th of July Fun...........Unplanned

When Josh left work on Friday if anyone asked him about holiday plans the answer would have been "nothing". We planned on just hanging out and doing our normal things. If it's nice enough, go to the pool. Usually, my pool temperature requirement is 85 degrees and up. This is a cool year and the pool is expensive (town pool) so we will be experimenting with 80 degrees and up since it's very sunny at the pool and that gets hot easier. Other then that, nothing special.

Saturday started off the same as usual, I woke up, made the omlets, and Josh and Zach grocery shopped. We still do nap time drives after lunch for Zach. This time, he wanted Mommy's car not Daddy's which is what we usually use. I have the new Britney Spears CD (Femme Fatale) in my car and he loves it! We skip over the songs "How I Roll" (uses the f word), "Criminal" (don't want him to be inspired), and "He About to Loose Me" (he hates when we fight and doesn't need the image of me leaving Josh). Anyway, we decide to take my car so he can listen to the cool CD since all Josh has is the radio (his CD player is broken) and I think of a plan. My parent's have a cabin at a lake further north. He's been asking for them on weekends and they had been up since Thursday afternoon coming home today (Monday the 4th). Okay, let's go see Grandma and Pop! It was so spontaneous we were at the gate waiting for my mom to let us in when we realized Zach's shoes were in Josh's car. That's right, he was barefoot all afternoon. Everything else he needed was either improvised or Grandma had.

They really want us to visit on weekends but I prefer the much slower Monday's but this was special. All afternoon he swam, played in the sand at the beach, ran around the tennis courts and all around had fun. I had been looking at a brimmed hat (I had a few baseball caps but wanted a hat. No design but Kate Middleton style). My dad had brought my mom some back from a Florida trip he took with his one sister to visit his other sister. She let me keep a nice green one. Josh and I enjoyed the afternoon too. It's a club so a lot of people remember me as a kid. I came on Monday's last summer with Zach but there are some people only there on weekends. Including a family with a son a year older then Zach!!! That kid was sleeping in the afternoon though.



As dinner time approached Josh and I weighed our options. 45 minute drive home means we have a very short visit. However, it was the party night for 4th of July and Mom and Dad asked us to stay. We did. Classic picnic food and bring your own platters for appetizers. Zach loved it! He played, ate, danced, and played more. The other boy was there so they played together for a while. We waited until 8 to leave so when he fell asleep in the car it wouldn't be that far from bedtime anyway.

Sunday was the most like usual. It was raining so there wasn't a lot to do. We did go to walk around Target and I found myself with a laundry basket (needed for luggage for vacation and other things here), a water bottle for Zach (drinking from the bottle they come in gets him all wet it was $1) and $1 for 6 scouring pads (check that off the grocery list). At nap time, we tried to do it at home and Zach kept running for the door. Josh was going to give in to do the drive but I spoke up, "remember what happened yesterday on his drive? Snuggle with him, he'll sleep". Snuggling worked.

Today we went to Kohls in the morning. They got in the 4T long sleeved shirts already and they were on Zach's buy list so I did. After lunch we napped at home then went to the pool. It was hot and beautiful and loads of fun. Josh had a UPS job interview (he says they really liked him) so it was me and Zach. He swam in the big pool, played in the kiddie pool, swung on the swing, back to the baby pool, Adult Swim was called so back to the big pool, swing, snack, then a quickie swim in the big pool. He explored the ladies room as we changed then we arrived home at the same time as Daddy. They are taking Daddy time as I type this.

On Thursday, our town did the fireworks and he slept through them!!! I love fireworks and when he's older we'll get to some for him. He got the beads in the picture at the party from old friends of the family. We always sit with them. Their cabin is near my parent's old cabin. My parent's have a new cabin down a steep hill and big and fabulous!!! I always felt isolated at the lake as a teen since the other teens were cliquey, but I loved it as a kid at the lake. Those teen memories kept me from it for a very long time.

Zach loves it up there and loves the town pool. As a kid, summer weekdays we spent racing to get the second table in off the path by the concession stand by 3ft. at the pool right when the doors opened at 12pm and staying until 3 or 4. Sometimes, my parent's would join us bringing dinner. That was usually family night when they showed a movie on a big white brick wall they had. I was a fish who could almost always go completely across a section (3ft, 5ft, ect...) without coming up for air. Summer weekends were spent at the lake. Walking around, swimming playing: tennis, at the playground, and family board games or cards since there was no (still is no) TV up there and we didn't have a laptop (mom's is on a lot now). For the 4th of July party (Saturday of or before) they had fireworks over the lake. I loved those. This was the first year in a while they had them but we had to miss them. There is also a Labor Day party that used to be a costume party. I want Zach's summers to be like this. Those were the summers I enjoyed. Below are pictures of Mommy's little firework. Our lake plans for the future includes taking part in both parties and Mondays.


No comments:

Post a Comment