Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Yes We're (Mostly) Irish

I have themes of the day. This probably doesn't surprise many of you. With St. Patrick's Day being thursday the themes leading up to it started with luck last Friday followed by: Ireland, Loch Ness Monster, Gold, Leprechauns, Shamrocks and finally St. Patrick's Day. Friday is Rainbows since that's also a St. Patrick's thing but it is mainly Spring.

That will also be my half birthday. It's a very Irish thing to celebrate a 1/2 birthday but I'm still one of those people that thinks of my age in terms of quarter years. My dad is all Irish. His grandfather was one of the stereotypical Irish immigrants who was a mail man with a lot of kids to feed. The details are blurry in my memory but from what I understand after his 5th child was born my Great-Grandmother died in childbirth. The youngest two kids were kept at home raised by their dad and his father. The oldest three were sent to an orphanage. That included my Grandfather (Poppop). He was named Hugh. My brother is the 10th in a row. At 13 my Poppop had since been reunited with his family and worked as a Messanger Boy for a bank. He worked only at the bank and worked his way up to VP of Marketing (?) it was VP of something.

Apparently, my dad was a business prop as a pre-teen, brought to baseball games, mostly Yankees, to hang out with a client or potential client's son of a similar age. He must've seen some awesome games considering it was the late 50's early 60's!!! Poppop could stretch a penny like you wouldn't believe. That's a good thing since he died in January of 1999 at 96 years old (he would have been 97 that March).

I don't know much about my other Irish Grandmother's side (Dad's Mom). My dad says we were from the part of Ireland where the Spanish Armada landed and were there when it happened. My Grandfather in my Mom's side was the Irish from her (my Grandma was Italian). It's unclear when they came but that side of the family is full of scholars such as teachers and doctors. At least one wrote a published book!!! My Great Grandma had five boys but they did a lot around the house since she was a teacher. At least one was a college Professor. No wonder my Mom became an Engineer during the Women's Lib movement. One of 26 women in Engineering school at the time. She has a wonderful story that I'll save for Mother's Day.

I love Irish history and culture. I am proud to be Irish. Josh is part Irish too so Zach is dominately Irish and looks it even with a German last name.

Wenzel Hollar's historical map of Ireland

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ireland

No comments:

Post a Comment