Wednesday, March 09, 2011

First Full Sentence

Tonight my Zach said his first full sentence where at 21 Months old he's taking closer steps to being a two-year-old. What was it, you ask? "I like pink." How exactly did that come about? We have four Sesame Street books: Big Bird's First Book of Letters, Abby's First Book of Shapes, Elmo's First Book of Colors, and Cookie's First Book of Numbers. He loves reading all of them back to back and I let him choose the order. The Letters book he got from Grandma and Pop for Christmas but the others came from my much older cousins with much older kids for my baby shower. They are old books.

He loves the numbers book and when we get to 9 when it's the count I do the count laugh and accent. He laughs when I turn to that page in his version of the count laugh. For the letters he gets excited at the letter "x". He says "Elmo" for his picture next to "E" and is exploring with saying what each letter is as he comes across letters in his life such as letter blocks and the "Victoria's Secret" on my nightgowns and lazy tops. With shapes he seems to prefer the squares. But his favorite is the colors book. I do the colors in the voices of the character "Elmo is red." I repeat "Red, red, red, red, red" as I point to all the red items in the picture in a cute Elmo voice. His favorite voice is "Cookie is Blue" but is seconded by "Big Bird is Yellow". I'm not good at voicing Oscar and Zoe.

The book reads, "Zoe is orange but she likes pink" and instructs you to find all the orange and pink things in the picture. Tonight when I got to that page, before even reading a word, he said "I like pink".

Interesting since he doesn't own anything pink and I hardly have anything pink even for myself. I think pink shirts for dudes is just a desperate way to add variety to male wardrobes where there is little variety options and marketed as cool to actually sell the items. But I think I know where he got it from.

As I've talked more about wanting another because he's so wonderful I talk about wanting a little girl and filling her room with all the cool pink toys. Including a grocery cart he saw a girl his age pushing around Target the other day and took over pushing around when she was done with it.

He's an extremely smart kid and knows what's going on. It's possible that by playing with pink toys in the store and showing an interest in them he's trying to make me not want to replace him. He doesn't understand I want a girl ALSO not INSTEAD. He hears us talking about another child but we always talk about both of them. He's gotten clingier to me since it started, not wanted to give up our cherished alone time which he already understands would happen if he had to share. He barely likes sharing me with his Daddy!!!

Me being sick, and looking horrible, today my parents helped a lot with him as Josh returned to work. They will both be away next week and instead of seeing him 5 - 6 days a week it'll be like 8 days without seeing him. We came for lunch early today and he conveniently fell asleep after a big poop in his Pop's arms. Pop carried him upstairs for a snuggle. The same thing I love. That's all he wanted for his November birthday so I guess Father's Day is covered. Pop was in heaven!!! I left him sleeping there at 12:35 for alone time planning to get him at 4:00. But before 4:00 my mom called asking to give him a bath he apparently wanted. No problem there and bath time is a favorite for them to do on date night. When he was done, he read with Grandma and just when we were talking him finishing that first, Uncle Hugh got in from work. He usually takes time with Zach at family dinner but Zach has been occupied by Aunt Sonny (my cousin but she's like a sister) the last two weeks. Uncle Hugh wanted some Zach time too. Zach got home at 5:35. Daddy was home when he arrived. Upon seeing Daddy, he screamed. He wanted me alone. Josh let me take time to myself reading Sports Illustrated but Zach wanted Mommy. He calmed down when I read to him. He wanted his Mommy all to himself.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment