Monday, July 25, 2022

This Is A Recession

 In 2006 I worked at the Thomas Kinkade Art Gallery nearby. Slowly during my time there less people wanted paintings and more wanted the much cheaper gift items. I was laid off in January of 2007. My response when they called the 2008 recession was, "no shit, Sherlock!" 

Yes, it was a year after my experience. But in that time frame, we noticed a lot of problems. People were spending differently. Gas prices were high so, people traveled differently. In that time, companies like Verizon offered retirement packages to people like my father-in-law. More and more companies started laying off workers. I have always felt that recession really started in September of 2006 and Economists were wrong to say December of 2007. September of 2006 is when habits for people and corporations changed because of money. 

I see that now. Economists are refusing to say we are in a recession. They cling to their security blanket of "but it's low unemployment numbers!" I'm calling their B.S. now. Because look at the jobs that are available. The jobs that are unfilled are those that pay the pathetic minimum wage, not enough to cover the cost of living, and offer horrible hours. They are not the jobs that pay a middle-class lifestyle or better. The middle-class jobs are becoming fewer listings with more competition to fill. The jobs that are open are the underpaid and overworked jobs that everyone is running from. These jobs don't count because you need two of them to match the cost of living. They are great for teens and retirees, bad for working-age adults. If you are counting them, they you need to account for other data too in that math. 

Prices are too high. Astronomically high! The cost of living is skyrocketing with no end in sight! Every price is skyrocketing and that has forced people to change their habits since April. We have been in the recession since April 2022 no matter what economists say. 

Recessions aren't about the numbers that are currently being considered. GDP is useless with this. They are about the spending habits. No, we aren't still buying a lot. We are spending more money on less things. Most of those things are essentials. The numbers are lying to the economists. Just like they did in the fall of 2006. 

I know it's a recession because more people are picking up their food to avoid tipping drivers at Josh's restaurant. 

I know it's a recession because tips are down by $2 on average sometimes more than last year. 

I know it's a recession because Josh's boss just gave him another raise to cover some of the gas expense. 

I know it's a recession because businesses are taking steps like half day Fridays to save money. 

I know it's a recession because of less stuff in a package for the same price or more. 

I know it's a recession because shopping carts are not as full as they used to be. 

I know it's a recession because companies like Kohl's explored selling. 

I know it's a recession because companies are ordering less stock and making less products due to the cost of materials. 

I know it's a recession because house bids are getting a lot smaller, list prices are lower, and they are on the market longer. 

This is the part of the recession economists will never count as a recession. My guess is a year from now will be called a recession but not this part. It's time economists reassess their definition of a recession. What I am seeing and, experiencing is a recession. Most people would agree. 

No comments:

Post a Comment