Sunday, April 17, 2022

About Those Surprises

 Last Saturday we started packing for the move. We had lots of boxes and a lot of things that could be packed early. I had ordered a bunch of tubs that came today (yes, Easter Sunday). We have a massive number of packed boxes all over the place and still need a lot more! Zach was home on vacation this week so, we made the most of it. 

We close on the house in 2 and 1/2 weeks and move in 3 and 1/2 weeks. YAY! Unfortunately, that math just got more complicated. On Wednesday night I fractured my foot for the 6th time. It will be 6 weeks without walking and/or lifting things. Let's do that math. 

3.5 weeks to moving day (May 14th)

5.5 weeks to walking and/or lifting (May 27th)

Negative 2 weeks. That's correct. I will be back to normal 2 weeks AFTER moving. No, I didn't do that on purpose. This is part of that sensory processing disorder I talk about sometimes. This is why it is severe. Moving isn't the only big issue I have had to take care of lately. It's one of four. My mind is processing so much that it has stopped processing basic things like "that chair is too far out, push it in first." 

I have had a lot of help packing boxes since last Saturday. We are officially at the stage for "if we get a box, pack it! Ask everyone you can think for boxes too!" My cousin's husband has offered to help us bring boxes to the house after closing now that I can't. Our previous game plan for the week between closing and moving has been modified!

The house will actually be easier to work around then the condo is. We will have a lot more space. We also have a significantly shorter walk to the car and curb. I can wait until June to install the window fixtures and curtains in the family room. Hopefully, my dad will help to put together the floor lamps for the living room. In the meantime, I will be using the knee scooter/crutches/desk chairs with wheels to get around. I've done it before. 

I knew it was a fracture before seeing the doctor. The doctor was surprised that I knew so much and had my own crutches (since 2001). This isn't even the first move I did with a fractured foot. In the summer of 2004, we were moving into our first apartment and planning the wedding. I fractured my foot at work and was off for 8 weeks. I was normal by the wedding but, it got too close for comfort! When we moved into the condo, I was pregnant and high risk so I couldn't lift stuff. I miscarried a week after moving in. about 7 months later I got pregnant with Zach. 

What about moving into my parent's house? We lived in one house until I was 3 years-old and my brother was about to be born. We moved extremely close to his birth. It sounds like another "handle with care" time of life. According to my childhood babysitter. I locked myself in the car and the closet during that time. The cop who came to get me out asked her if I was the same kid the second time. She told me that story more than once. But I was a tiny 3-year-old. I was held often so I didn't fracture anything then. My guess is I had some close calls though. 

The last time this happened Zach was 1 year old but. I was still healing until after his 2nd birthday. That was a really big challenge! 11 years ago. I was also under a massive amount of unmanageable stress back then. Well, I had a good run. I had been trying to be extra careful. I know my history and know that the 4 major issues I had to deal with all at once made this more likely to happen. 

To paraphrase Thanos from the Avenger movie "The Avengers: Infinity Wars"" "It was, inevitable". 



No comments:

Post a Comment