Friday, March 16, 2018

Pumpkins Vs. Petals

St. Patrick's Day is tomorrow. Why am I writing a post called "Pumpkins Vs. Petals"? Because I have been in a rut lately. A rut that doesn't happen in the autumn. But, it happens now. A motivational rut. Why was it so much easier in October then it is now? That's the question I had for a skein of yarn before.

Okay, I'm not that crazy. I didn't literally ask a skein of yarn "why do projects go so much faster in the fall then they do in the spring?" But, I was looking at a skein of yarn when I had the thought. I didn't expect an answer from the yarn.

I have a few crochet and knit projects that I am either working on, or have planned. The hot pads are part of a four season project I am working on. Spring and fall are completed.

In progress:

1. Cable Knit scarf for Josh (regular wear) 1/2 way done.
2. Triple Crochet scarf for Josh (when shoveling snow, it's harder on these things) only a little done.
3. Cats Crocheted Toddler Girl blanket for a charity my mom works for (1/2 way done).

Planned but not started:

1. Cats Crocheted Toddler Boy blanket for the charity my mom works for
2. Diagonal Crocheted hot pad: Summer (waiting on yarn)
3. Diagonal Crocheted hot pad: Winter (waiting on yarn)

In the fall I was able to spend an average of 4 - 6 hours a day on projects. They went so quickly! So, why is it so hard now? After brainstorming on facebook with a knitting group I am in, I have a few theories.


1. I have done a lot of projects lately. I did take a break. Maybe I just need more of a break!

2. The issues started around when Zach's basketball practices started in November. I had been predictable about when I would work on them. Then new schedule threw things off.

3. These are all things used in November - March. It's easy to be motivated in the fall. They will be needed soon. In March, you have what you need for that year. It won't be done in time for the current  year. So you have six months before crunch time.


When I had the same rut about a month ago the problem was skill level. I was ready for more challenging projects. I had moved up in my abilities. But, most of these projects are using new skills or patterns. They aren't too hard or too easy. I do enjoy working on them while working on them. I just have trouble being motivated to work on them!

A lot of crafty people are like that. We have times we thrive and get a lot of projects out. Then, we have times when we want to do something. It just seems to take forever to complete something that shouldn't take that long. I would imagine it's like that for those who do woodworking, painting, and photography too. This happens with a lot of different things.

Pumpkins verses petals. Each represent different times of year. Each time of year has their charms. It's easier to be motivated to do different things during each time of year. But, pumpkins win the needlepoint battle! At least petals have the gardening battle covered! Enough snow has melted to enjoy some of my daylily and daffodil sprouts! I love my fall garden, but, fighting the forging squirrels takes away from it in the fall!

No comments:

Post a Comment