Thursday, March 22, 2018

And Cow Is Vaca

Part of taking a break from knitting and crocheting means I need a new focus. So, I returned to my quest to eventually be fluent in Spanish. It also means I have brought back an old study habit.....flash cards, '90s style.

I'm glad I am doing this. I know some people who primarily speak Spanish. Even though they know English, they are more comfortable with Spanish. You never know when you will need to communicate with one or more of the many people who's primary language is Spanish. It's a beautiful language. Instead of kicking everyone who doesn't speak English out of the country, we should be making access to learning Spanish easier.

I am taking a two and a half part approach to refreshing my Spanish knowledge and adding to it. I have this great app from Samsung. It's on my galaxy tablet, galaxy smartphone, and Microsoft computer. It also doesn't use wifi or data so I can do it anywhere without worries. Made by Zeemish, It's the one with the owl. Link below for those with Microsoft. For phones and tablets it's under "Samsung apps" (search "Spanish").

https://www.microsoft.com/store/productId/9WZDNCRCS3K0

The other part and a half is from this book. That's the Amazon link but I have seen it at Barnes and Nobles.

https://www.amazon.com/Practice-Makes-Perfect-Spanish-Second/dp/0071849211/ref=sr_1_5?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1521753623&sr=1-5&keywords=Spanish&refinements=p_n_feature_fifteen_browse-bin%3A5245005011


The book does come with flashcards. But, it's more effective to make your own. So I grabbed a giant stack of index cards and a pen. I made the flash cards for Unit 1. Chapters 1 - 5. Now, I quiz myself. Each stack, until I can make it all the way through without any mistakes on both sides.

That's how I did it in high school and college. It's more likely to be remembered and recalled in the future. If you want to be fluent, you need to just know without thinking what the right words are. The flash cards are based on the book but I treat them as a separate form of studying. Hence, the half part.

I have also asked a friend to pm me a sentence to translate into English and an English sentence to translate into Spanish every once in a while. I hope that works too. When I am getting my Friday lunch salads from Josh's place I practice my Spanish.

"Ensalada con pollo, por favor". "Salad with chicken, please." Because of his co-workers, Josh is trying to learn Spanish too. I am putting a lot more effort in though.

Zach is watching. He's paying attention. He sees me working just as hard as he is. These flash cards will help him in the future. He has declared that he is taking Spanish not Mandarin when he starts middle school.

Yes, Vaca (pronounced va ka) is cow in Spanish.

It's nice to challenge my mind like this. Eventually, my hands will get fidgety and I'll pick up my knit and crochet projects again. In the meantime, I am setting a good example for Zach and expanding my mind. I am also getting better at communicating with a large amount of people I come across.

Originally, I planned to save this for when Zach starts middle school. But, it was on my mind and there is no reason to wait. When I am confident enough, I might do a blog post in Spanish (with translations).

Adios, mis amigos :). Buenos Noches! Goodbye, my friends :). Good night!

La vaca es en la granja. The cow is on the farm. (granja pronounced: gr on ha)

No comments:

Post a Comment