Friday, February 24, 2017

Gardens At School

I chair the committee for the garden at Zach's school. This is only the second year the parent organization has been funding the seven year old garden. The teacher who established and cares for it is with the preschool. Most of the classes that go to the garden are from the preschool. But, it's supposed to be for everyone. When talking to the elementary teachers, I found they rarely use the garden.






When I took over I made that my goal. To form a connection to the garden for the elementary kids too. That started in the Fall. On the day the parent organization sells mums, we had an open house. Usually the garden is locked behind a gate. We left it open after school.




It was popular. The principal and superintendent loved this idea. It made it to the new town school magazine.





But, the garden looks different in the spring. With the recent April-like weather we have been having, the teacher and I have been brainstorming. We are going to do another open house when the gym teacher holds field day. A lot of parents take off from work for that. It's a bunch of races and tossing games ending in a tug of war. I love field day and did too when I was the kids participating in it.


But, there is one more thing I will be doing too.




When we get pansies, I will put memos in teacher mailboxes at school. Just to let them know there is some activity in the garden. Because some possible ongoing lessons need to start with the first signs of life. It's also a good chance to talk about how nature is programed to know when to grow and when not too.






This garden is a sensory garden. It's a very calming place. A place I will probably be in next Thursday for a while. I'll be spending two hours on my feet for the lunch. Then I am helping with the scholastic book fair. There is only a small break in between.






I can't handle too much noise and chaos for too long. I will need the quiet for a little bit. Even now I like walking through the gardens. Bulbs are nicely sprouted. Our Daffodil bulbs at home can be seen from a nice distance away.






Gardens are so good for learning. There are so many lessons. The teacher who does the garden will offer some lesson ideas. It will be wonderful for the kids to be able to note once a month for the rest of the year the changes they see in the garden. We feature things for the senses.






This isn't my first experience with school and gardening. Growing up my neighbors had a big beautiful garden. They had some interesting plants too. My fifth grade teacher loved science. So I coordinated with him and my neighbors for a walking class trip to see and learn in their garden.




My mom didn't know about it until the night before. The teacher called her to finalize after talking to my neighbor. She offered snacks afterwards. It was a fun class trip and we learned a lot. It was a rare opportunity for this kind of garden experience too.




Not all schools can have a garden. Even a small one. I wish they could. On a beautiful day it means there can be a lesson outside. That fresh air is so important! It means kids can learn about nature through seeing and not just a textbook.






It works for older kids too. When you teach photosynthesis, a real life example is more memorable then pictures in a textbook. Botany is important. There are a lot of more advanced things you can do for high school kids.






I am enjoying doing the garden. The teacher enjoys having a parent that wants to help get more classes in the garden. The presidents of the parent organization are glad to be more then just the source for funding. To have something in the garden for the calendar.

No comments:

Post a Comment