Monday, January 02, 2017

Dear Woman At BK,

Dear Woman at BK,
You were standing next to me when I asked the Asst. Manager if mayo has dairy in it. I thought you were being helpful when you said "no".


So I explained to you what was happening. I didn't have to, but I did. My throat has been closing up a lot lately. So I am trying to go Dairy free. Seeing if it's a dairy allergy. I also said "I'm still figuring out what has dairy in it."


You told me to get to a doctor quickly and not to mess with that. There is so much I didn't tell you. You didn't ask for more information first. You just decided you knew me better then me. I don't even know what your job is. It's unlikely you are an expert in allergies though.


You forget it's an observed holiday. The allergist I called isn't open today and hasn't been all weekend. I had planned to see an allergist for days. But, it's not an option today. I also might need a referral. It's not as easy as show up and they take you any time.


You just assumed I never planned to see a doctor about this. You know nothing about me. Why was that your assumption?


You see, I also have some complicating factors. I have a shellfish allergy and a fear of medications. So finding out what I actually am allergic to is important.


I have a severe anxiety disorder and OCD. I had developed depression in November and am still fighting it. The throat thing might be in my mind. Or the one finger of sour cream closing my throat could be proof of something else.


You don't know I take a claritin every morning. You probably thought I am exaggerating. After all, if my throat closed up why didn't I go to the ER? Because my albuteral worked mostly every time. Combined with the Claritin, no ambulance has been required.


Is it possible you have a food allergy too and don't like when people who don't have one think they do? I get that with the GAD and OCD a lot. But, it sounded more like you just like telling people what to do.


So now I am telling you what to do. Stop telling people what to do. It's something bullies do to cover up their own insecurities. You were with a man yet neither of you saved a table and you insisted on carrying the tray. Control issues. You should really see a doctor about that.


Sincerly,


Mom in BK trying to figure out her body's issues.




note: I know nothing about this woman. Part of me knows she was just trying to be helpful. Was that concern in her voice? Or authority? She has no authority over me.


I wasn't gasping for breath. I mentioned the allergy when ordering and asked that they change their gloves before making my order. No cross contamination that way. I don't use mayo in many things so I haven't needed to check it yet.


It's a rough allergy to have. I hope I am wrong. Hence my plan to go to the allergy doctor. I know some people like soy but I haven't liked anything with soy in it yet! I truly hope this is all in my head! But, my throat spent most of December closed. I assumed it was stress. If it's not an allergy, I have to see a different doctor.


Her comment was uninformed,  useless, unhelpful, bossy, and unnecessary. A professional would have asked a few questions first. I guess she wouldn't believe me unless I was clutching my throat gasping for air in front of my 7 year old saying "call 911". Her opinion doesn't matter. Because she isn't an expert and she didn't have all the facts.

No comments:

Post a Comment