Thursday, December 08, 2016

Off The Bench, Back To The Path

http://homewithmommy-fran.blogspot.com/2016/03/the-path-to-moment.html

That's an old blog post. "The Path To A Moment". It's based on a different blog post, "Watching Zach". "Watching Zach" was about all the times parents watch their kids. It's a few years old at this point.

We live in the same town Josh and I grew up in. We walk the same streets we used to walk. In the original post I talked about a flash of a future image I had while walking to my parents house.

There is a baseball field in town. It's where the middle school kids play. As I passed it, I envisioned Zach on the pitcher's mound. You can read about that vision and more in the link above. I froze when having that vision. I couldn't pull myself away.

Last year was Zach's first time ever playing baseball. He started the path to that moment. Baseball is a great sport for him. He has asthma. Even professional baseball players have a chance to catch their breath. It's also a great sport for learning life skills like focus, patience and teamwork.

But, I didn't force it on him. I encouraged his interest but didn't push. Ever since school started he's been asking me to sign him up again. I did just that on Tuesday. He's very excited about it. I am so thrilled that he likes baseball this much!

"I hope I'm on the pirates again! That would be cool!"

I consider his off season his time on the bench. Sitting out. Taking a break. Waiting for the right time to start again. He's off that metaphorical bench. Back on the path. This step was signing him up again.

Now is the next step on the path. Waiting for his team assignment. That will come at the end of January I believe. Practices start when the snow melts in March. Another stop in the path.

Will he ever actually live that moment? I have no idea. He could stop playing baseball by then. He could play a different position. But, he also could be a pitcher on that mound living that moment.

Break is over. He's off the bench. He won't see another metaphorical bench until June 11th. He back to walking that path to that moment! I hope he makes it to that moment. We're right behind him on his path. We share in all these moments along the way.

This is one of those moments. His first ever at bat:

No comments:

Post a Comment