Thursday, November 17, 2016

An Instinctual Gallery Tour

For those that don't know I have been collecting pictures and paintings to fill the wall of the apartment. I have one more left to arrive. Once it's here, I'll take pictures! Then I'll take you on a gallery tour of my home.

With my home gallery tours I start at a specific paintings and stop at all the paintings and pictures in the apartment. I let my eyes explore the paintings and pictures. I look for symbolism and in some cases relive memories.

Gallery tours are psychological. ANY gallery tour. Our minds draw us to certain aspects of photos or paintings. Two different people can see different meanings in the same painting or photograph. Water seems to be a favorite symbolism of mine.

Tomorrow I plan to do a full gallery tour just to relax. But, today I thought it would be fun to take an instinctual gallery tour. My degree is in Dance. One thing I learned about modern dance choreography is this. Let your body flow with the music. The music will guide your movements. Let the movements happen instead of forcing something. So, I did that with my instinctual gallery tour.

I stood in the middle of the room or hallway and slowly turned around in a circle. After one circle I started a new circle. I let my mind tell me where to stop. After taking time with that painting or photograph, I did another complete circle. After that, I started a new circle and stopped where my instincts dictated. Once I had done two complete circles, I moved to the next room or the hallway.

After that I sat on a chair in the living room. The one I'm in right now in fact. I closed my eyes. When my instincts said stand, I stood. When it said go forward, I took a step. I did this with every step. I turned when my instincts said to turn. I stopped when my instincts said to stop. I ended up in the bathroom looking at a picture of Zach. Him as a baby the first time he ever saw a lit Christmas tree. He's addicted to Christmas trees and has been since the moment in that photo. We're putting up the tree for his room on Saturday.

It was a really cool experience. Even if you don't have a lot of artwork in your home, try it. I noticed that my mind didn't necessarily take me to all of my favorite paintings and photos. Most of the paintings my mind took me too were religious based. Not all of them though. Your mind takes you to the painting or photo that connects with something on your mind.

That last one, where my instincts took me to this very specific picture was the coolest thing I have experienced in a really long time! It only works if you trust your instincts. If you listen to them. In order for either version of an instinctual gallery tour to work you have to have spent time really looking at the paintings, photos and sculptures on your walls. But, that was fun discovering where my mind would lead me.

So, what's this picture that my mind literally led my body to?

No comments:

Post a Comment