Monday, October 03, 2016

Picture Deep

Do you remember those paintings I ordered? Most of them are here and framed. The ones that aren't are printed out pictures taped to the wall where they are going (painter's tape). It's a decorating trick. Before putting hooks in the wall the taped pictures can be moved around. It makes it easier to choose a great location for the picture or painting. Leaving it there for a few days helps establish if you like that location or not.

Between the real paintings, the pictures, and the printed placeholder pictures, I am surrounded by beauty. So I started doing what I call a "home gallery tour". I start at one paintings and circle around the apartment looking at everything hanging on the wall. This includes quick stops at the wall decorations.

It's like when you go to a real gallery, I linger on some things more then others. When the project is complete I'll take you on a "home gallery tour" too. I focus on the content of the paintings, pictures and wall decorations. The symbolism too. Last night I took Josh on one of these tours. He said.

"I never really noticed a lot of these pictures and paintings. I'm going to start paying more attention to them!"

A picture is worth 1,000 words. I decided to take this picture of Zach (one of the ones from the wall) and see what I can say about it.



1. He's looking at his footprint in the sand. He's close to the water so that's really wet sand. I haven't been on the beach in a long time, but I remember how that sand is different. He's enthralled by the difference too. Perhaps watching as it fills with water. Then watching the water retreat.

2. I can see his footprints in the sand behind him. The path he had to take to get to this point. That sand isn't as wet. It's not as interesting to him.

3. Look at how he's standing. Strong. That's a position of power. It's like he's about to battle the waves. It's a peaceful power. He's not saying "come and get me". He's saying "I can handle what you have for me."

4. Oh those waves. The beautiful waves. Watch as they curl over. Like a hug. They are powerful too. I can almost hear them. That gentle "whosh" they make. I could stare at waves for an hour. Their pure natural beauty. Manipulated by the moon.

5. Waves are a symbol for Hydrocephalus. That is what Josh has. Knowing that now, I think about how he's feeling. Is it a "big head day" from all the water in his head?

6. It's very peaceful. Everything is at peace. The waves aren't too big and are simply beautiful. He's focused an a footprint. A simple footprint. And how nature is interacting with it. It's a beautiful day too. It's interesting that he's looking at the footprint instead of the beautiful waves.

7. 6 years old in that picture. Yet he looks so big. I can picture him doing the same thing as a teenager and as an adult. His quiet and patient observation is so mature! It was probably around 4. Taken by grandma. I wonder what she was thinking when she took it. That was the year it was just the three of us in Ocean City, NJ. A great vacation. But, my father and husband were missed!!!

It's probably not 1,000 words. But, it is a lot of words. This is my cover picture on facebook. I modified it to look like this:



It says "Have trust in God's plan for you. He knows what you really want and need!" As far as I know, I wasn't quoting anyone when I wrote that. It's how I truly feel. This was the right picture to express that.

I analyze every picture or painting like that. I go deeper with some then others. It means taking the time to appreciate the details of the picture or painting. In some cases, learn from them. Like the "Bridge of Faith" paintings above the computer.

As I work on anything at the computer I find myself looking up at it. I look at it when I am problem solving. From big problems to "what word should I use next?" That's because bridges symbolize problem solving and peacemaking. "Bridge of Faith". Have faith that you will find a solution and everything will be okay. It was strategically placed in that location for this very reason. A lot of problems and conflict involve using the computer.



I look at it instinctually. Because my mind knows about the symbols in that paintings. My mind is saying "she needs these reminders, this is the place to find them". I am drawn to the bridge. Josh was drawn to the rushing water. Perhaps it reminded him of the water in his head.

Randomly, I find myself looking up at a painting or picture and stopping in my tracks. Digging deep into the picture or painting. I do that at my parent's house too. My mind is programed to draw me to the painting or picture with the message I need whether at home or at my parent's house. It knows what to look for. Because I took the time to dig deeper into each of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment