Thursday, September 29, 2016

Got The T-Shirt

I haven't been to many places
I haven't done that many things
I have plenty of t-shirts

So, what's with the title?

Facebook has been doing this thing. They post on your wall a picture of a t-shirt about different professions. Usually, they choose a profession based on what you put as what you do in your profile. As a few Engineers I know posted their "Scientist" t-shirt ads I laughed. Finally, an ad there is no way they could post on my wall.

Yeah..............I was wrong.

So, what does facebook think my job is?

A writer.

"Worked at" says "Stay at Home Mom". I assume they selected "writer" because of this blog. I post the link on facebook after writing each blog post. I don't consider myself a writer or even a blogger. This might be a blog, but professional bloggers are journalists. Trained to be journalists. With degrees in English and experience on their college newspapers.

From 6th - 8th grade I drew pictures for the school magazine. Only part of one was actually printed in the 8th grade. That's also the last time I took art. My art skills are officially that of an 8th grader. That's my only experience with journalism.

But, friends I love have complimented my writing. I am both grateful and surprised. However, I always am surprised when someone tells me I am good at something. I generally don't think of myself as interesting or talented. I used to be interesting. My degree in Dance is interesting. My previous experience working for a Thomas Kinkade art gallery is interesting. As for as I know, that's all the interesting I've got! I was never talented. Could it be that some people still find me interesting?

Simple Definition of interesting


  • : attracting your attention and making you want to learn more about something or to be involved in something : not dull or boring 
 
 
Full Definition of interesting
  1. :  holding the attention :  arousing interest
 
 
 
 
There is one time recently when I fit the definition of "interesting". One morning about a month ago we were stuck in a traffic jam on a highway. But, it was the part of a highway with businesses. I told Josh to turn right at the next traffic light. Neither of us had ever been on that road before. But, I have a theory that so far remains true.
 
"If you know an area of NJ well enough, just take a busy (meaning main) road and eventually you'll get to another road you do know".
 
It definitely was correct that day. He even said "son of a ..............bartender" Okay that wasn't the word but you get it.
 
1. Road one is the one we turned off onto to escape the traffic jam
2. Road two was another busy unknown road at the end of that one. I told Josh to take a right. because that would bring us back to pointing in the direction we came from (no GPS)
3. With road three I recognized the name but Josh didn't believe the road was the same one he knew. It just was too far away. He was wrong.
 
It's one of those "dang it! She was RIGHT!" moments.
 
I guess that's what it is. No one is always interesting. No one is interesting to 100% of the population either. We all have interesting moments. But, they are only interesting to some people. We all have interesting stories for parties.
 
My quirks are probably what make me interesting to the people who find me interesting. I know which of my blog posts are interesting. Some are read at least twice a week. I try to post about a variety of topics. Including citing credible sources and spending a lot of time doing research for the posts when that is necessary. I guess that's what writers do. They also write interesting things sometimes but not always. Apparently, the t-shirt is right, I am a writer.

No comments:

Post a Comment