Saturday, July 02, 2016

Clothing Shopping Language

Recently, I was shopping for a new suit. I need one and the one I had didn't fit. It didn't come close to fitting. It's a bit of a challenge for me to clothing shop. Not because of the season wardrobes. Because of my size. It made me think about the language of clothing shopping.

As I looked around at the tops, I realized there are two types of formal. Serious formal and fun formal. Serious formal is for funerals, job interviews, and business meetings. Some people have to dress in serious formal cloths for work. Fun formal is for celebration. Weddings, Baptisms, and other parties that require formal cloths.

Trouser leg verses strait leg. What's the different? It turns out trouser legs are just a little bit wider. Ok, that makes sense. I have a belly. A trouser leg will conceal that better then the strait leg. Curvy? Oh, it's for women with wide hips. Modern fit? Oh, they are using that instead of regular. That's just the suit pants!!! Jean language is even worse!!! All I know is I prefer the relaxed fit strait leg jeans!!!

But it's not just about reading the labels once your in the section. Sometimes it's hard to know what section to go to, to begin with! I've listed them all below. When I was a 16 in jeans, I started looking over at the Plus size section to see what the difference is. The 0x was still too big.

I remember reading a comment to an article once. It was on Melissa McCarthy's new plus size clothing line. In this comment, the woman said she was "against petite sizes because it encourages eating disorders". That's not what petite means. At 5'3", I'm petite. Read on to see what petite is!

Baby (month sizes)

Toddler (with a t)

Little Girls/Boys (4 - 7)

Big Girls/Boys (8 - 20 side note: Zach's a 10/12. yeah, he's that big)

Juniors/Young Men (TEENS! The size range is similar to adults but teenagers are still growing they have a smaller frame. Sorry adult women like my Mom, you should NOT be shopping in this section. It's not about trends, it's about fit for a teenager not their full size yet.)

Men's (regular men's sizes)

Big and Tall (big men's sizes. The men's version of Plus sizes)

Petite (Short women. under 5'4". A size 14 waist is the same as in regular sizes but the leg doesn't go as long)

Petite Short (a little shorter pant leg then petite. example, my jeans are 14S (14 short) because 14P (14 Petite) is slightly too long) can be found in the petite section

Tall (it's not formally a separate section but can be found in the misses section and there aren't many options. It's for tall women)

Misses (Regular women's sizes)

Plus (when a women is too big for the regular sizes. usually done as 0x, 1x, 2x, and 3x)

Maternity (Because you do need something when your belly outgrows your normal cloths)

If it's not obvious, they figured out a long time ago that women are mostly the ones buying cloths. I'm still in awe that Zach is only 7 but has been a 10/12 for most of the school year!!! I think he started a growth spurt in May of 2015 and it's still going. Usually, they stop for a while then a new growth spurt starts. Zach's never ended!!!

Clothing isn't the only thing with sizes. Hats do too. As I have been making hats, I have learned the head sizes. I'll post them below. I actually had to remake all those hats I made. The crocheted ones where done wrong. Before I learned how to do the stitch right. The knitted ones are a little too big. I gave one to a friend and am saving three for Josh's mom, Josh's sister, and our niece (Josh's sister's daughter). I have an extra one. It's feminine. I'd like to give it to my brother's wife but she would never appreciate it. So I still don't know who get's the dark blue hat. I have a close friend it would be perfect for but I've never seen her wear a hat in winter.

Head Circumference Chart
Preemie baby: 12"
Newborn baby: 13 " 
Baby 0 - 3 Months: 14"
Baby 3-6 months: 15"
Baby 6-9 months: 16"
Baby 9-12 months: 16.5"
Baby 12-18 months: 17"
Baby 18-24 months: 17.5 "
Little Kid Small: 18"
Little Kid Medium: 18.5"
Little Kid Large: 19"
Big Kid Small: 19.5"
Big Kid Medium: 20"
Big Kid Large: 20.5"
Teenager Small: 21"
Teenager Medium: 21.5"
Teenager Large: 22"
Adult Woman Small: 21"
Adult Woman Medium: 22"
Adult Woman Large: 23"
Adult Man Small 23"
Adult Man Medium 24"
Adult Man Large 25"

No comments:

Post a Comment