Sunday, April 03, 2016

Stain Remover Battle

So I have this dress.



I got a few stains on it probably from cooking. It's most likely canola oil. The stains haven't been there that long. So I started with the stain remover we always use, Oxiclean Max Force. Usually, it works very well at getting stains out. After spraying it I find I have to scratch at the stain until the count of 25. But most of the time that works on the first try.



When that didn't work I used what my Mom always uses. She likes the Carbona Stain Devils. They come in different formulas for different stains. If you know what made the stain, it works really well.



But that didn't work either. We use Purex laundry detergent. So the next logical step for me was to try their stain remover called Fels-Naptha. It was weird using a bar. However, it wasn't that different then when I scratch at the stain anyway.



When that didn't work, we went with the one that says on the bottle "1st time results on tough stains". It's Resolve Max. I did scratch at the stain like I do with Oxiclean. I didn't want to give Oxiclean an unfair advantage.



It didn't work either. But, I tried it on a stained shirt and it didn't work on that stain either. The Oxiclean took care of that shirt. It's a case of exaggerated advertising. So we tried one last thing.



Nope, Shout didn't work either. It even says "Set-In Stain Scrubber" on the bottle. Another case of exaggerated advertising.

However, you can't see the stains unless you are up close and looking. I love this dress but only wear it around the house anyway. If I really wanted the stain out I probably would have to take it to the cleaners at this point.

In the future I would probably stick with the Oxiclean Max Force. We've used it for year and I've seen it get out some pretty impressive stains. It worked through Zach's baby and toddler years. I liked the other cleaners and each one did work a little.

I wouldn't get Shout and Resolve again because of the exaggerated advertising. I don't like encouraging companies to do that. They did work a little. But, they didn't follow through on their promise. I liked the Fels-Naptha bar and the Carbona. I would use them again if Oxiclean has trouble. But, I'll still start with Oxiclean.


Note: I have not received anything from any of these companies to try their products. I am a customer looking for a product that works for something I need. They were all bought at the same grocery store. I am sharing the results because I know there are a lot of people like me that might be interested in the results. This isn't an advertisement.

No comments:

Post a Comment