Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Couples In The Company

Josh and I worked together when we were engaged. He even was above me most of the time. After the company we worked for closed all of their stores, customers started to find out. The most common reaction was shock. We always were able to keep our work relationship separate from our private relationship.

Oh............................................... one intsy winsy itty bitty teeny little detail. It was against company policy. Our Store Manager knew when I was hired. Josh already worked there. But, the District Manager didn't. Eventually, they found out. When Josh was a Manager of his own store and I was the Assistant Manager at the other store. They were VERY shocked by the news. But, by then, we were at different stores so it didn't matter.

Some couples can do what we did. Separate the professional from the romantic. For us, it just came natural. We work so well together. We understand each other so well. That actually meant things were better when we worked together. We got more done.

But, working together can be tricky. To make it work you:

1. Can't flirt
2. Can't use romantic nicknames
3. Can't take arguments (words, topics, and emotions) to work

In our case, I think that time working together has made things better for our marriage. When major projects have to be tackled, we work together now like we did then. It leads to better results quicker. We are not just partners. We are a team. We make each other better.

Zach and I sometimes visit Josh at work. Because of the environment, I just act like a customer while we talk. His co-workers and bosses know who I am. But, I don't get in the way of him doing his job. In fact, he's better at it when I'm there. I love watching him work. The grocery store environment is one he is thriving in.

I think about those "no romantic partners working together" rules sometimes. I understand where they come from. When you are at work, you have to be professional. Those rules are there to keep the employees professional.

But, I know from personal experience that sometimes romantic partners working together can be the most productive time for businesses. Ours was a small store. Josh and I would work from opening to closing every Saturday when I was in college. Date night was after that door locked. For both of us, that key turn was the physical symbol of our behavioral cross over. Only then did the flirting begin.

I miss working with Josh. He helped keep me calm. That helped me be the best employee I could be. Even after Josh left some customers would call to ask when I was working. So they could come when I was there. After everyone knew the truth, customers even benefitted from our relationship. With Josh in another store, we were able to transfer merchandise between stores. One of us brought the product home after documenting the transfer and the other brought it to work the next day. It was an unusual level of customer service.

Should there be a rule against romantic partners working together? That's a tough question. Not all couples are like us. But, we are far from the only couple that can separate professional and personal. A lot of factors need to be considered. One is the environment. It's easier to be professional in retail. However, an office boss married to his Administrative Assistant is unlikely to be a good idea. There are a lot of possibilities in between.

There can't be a black and white couple ban. What there needs to be are professional guidelines the employees have to follow. They can start off working together. A transfer or discipline can come later for inappropriate behavior.

No comments:

Post a Comment