Monday, August 24, 2015

Alternative News

I don't know what news you get, but mine basically amounts to:

1. Things you do wrong
2. People being killed or saved
3. Celebrity News
4. Natural Disasters
5. Scary health news

I'm tired of articles that either tell me how to live my life or why the author thinks my way of doing it is wrong and their way is correct. I think I once came across an article titled "You Are Brushing Your Hair Wrong". If not yet, it's coming. When did we reach a point when everyone assumes their way is the only correct way to do things? Sometimes, doing things differently is just different. But neither way is wrong. I would love to start seeing articles titled "Your Way Of Loading The Dishwasher Is GREAT!" or "No, It Doesn't Matter How You Hang The Toilet Paper"

Whether it's about death or survival, most of these articles are sad. Very sad. I'm happy about the survival stories, but angry that the survivor went through it to being with. All of this sad news needs to be countered. Why can't happy articles be news? How about posting articles like "Mama Bunny Seen With Babies" complete with a picture.

Mundane is a part of life. What's wrong about an article covering the health benefits of walking to school? Every walking to school article I read is about a kidnapped kid. In my town, most kids walk and no one has been kidnapped. Instead of instilling a fear of healthy behavior in parents with fearful articles, how about showing the other side of the statistic. X percent of kidnappings might happen when walking to or from school. But what about the Y percent of walks to school that are uneventful? Y is a much higher number then X. Do an article highlighting that.

Celebrities are people. They might not live "normal" lives but they live their lives. There are marriages, divorces, kids, new relationships. Good for them. But I find knowing too much about a celebrity's personal life ruins their work for me. When watching a movie or TV show I like to get wrapped in the world. It makes it more enjoyable. But I can't enjoy the illusion of Penny and Leonard knowing the actress is married. I'm happy for her. But I just don't want to know about it. The same is true for music.

I know some people love celebrity news. Perhaps more cryptic headlines won't ruin it for people like me while providing the celebrity gossip other people like. They can try "Jennifer Aniston has big news!" With any picture being a generic picture of the celebrity so it doesn't give the news away. Someone like me won't be bothered but celebrity readers will excitedly jump right in!

All I can do for natural disasters is pray. There seems to always be one going on somewhere. With each one I share fear with those living through it. I feel just as helpless about not being able to stop it. It's important to report about natural disasters. But years later the news is all about the recovery that DIDN'T happen yet. I want to read about the part that is back to normal. "Pictures of California's Post-Fire Recovery". Those pictures could show the area effected when almost everything is rebuilt and nature is mostly healed.

I don't know about you, but I can't go a day without reading about some sort of scary health news. It's important to know about these things. But often the threat is exaggerated in these articles. The statistics are listed. But often downplayed. Apparently, fear sells. Instead of only reading about every bottle of Tylenol being recalled, I'd like it countered with calming news. "Walgreen's Acetaminophen Is Safe" At least it would inform us what we CAN use. If you are going to warn people not to use something, offer an equivalent alternative!

No comments:

Post a Comment