Saturday, March 21, 2015

A Jersey Breakfast

A few weeks ago a few of us Moms were talking while waiting for the kids to be dismissed at school. One of the Mom's is from Brooklyn and was talking about a popular breakfast here that she hadn't heard of until she moved here.

Taylor Ham, Egg and Cheese sandwich (bagel, English muffin, or roll).

Taylor Ham is a pork roll. Taylor is the brand. You can get it in packs of 4 or 8 slices. The 8 slices are thin. That's what I prefer. I use two on each sandwich. You make cuts in it, usually four, before popping in on the skillet. When it pops up, you flip it, continue until browned to your preference.

The rest of us Moms are life-long Jersey girls and know the Jersey breakfast well! That morning she had the Jersey breakfast on a bagel.

Bagels...............another Jersey treasure! When I was in college in South Carolina my roommate asked me to bring back Jersey bagels for her because they were the best she ever had. The BEST bagels and are in New York and New Jersey!

But back to the Jersey breakfast.

Ever since Josh fell I have been making the Jersey breakfast on weekends. I use the 100% Whole Wheat Thomas' English Muffins. I make the egg over easy for Josh and me and scrambled for Zach. Once everything is cooked and stacked, I put ours in the oven for the cheese to melt. The order is:

English Muffin Top
Egg
Cheese Square
Taylor Ham (2 thin slices)
English Muffin Bottom

Healthy? NOPE! Yummy? YES! We've decided to only do bagels for breakfast on weekends if the lowest temperature of the day is 40 or higher. That's because Josh was going to get bagels when he fell. After that, it became clear that if there might be ice, the Jersey breakfast is nice!

I got the recipe from Josh's Mom. She used to make it on Christmas morning when he was growing up. It's one of his favorites! It can be made with Canadian Bacon instead. But the dedicated Jersey girl in me HAS to make it with Taylor Ham!


Ironically, this picture is from NJ.com!

No comments:

Post a Comment