Friday, February 27, 2015

Winter Stinks, C'mon Spring! (with a Josh Update)

Josh has been back to work for two weeks. Yesterday, he had a follow-up appointment. He can drive again and walk with a cane. But if he doesn't need the cane, he doesn't have to use it! We are all relieved!

I haven't posted in a while. It's writer's block. I've been trying to avoid another "thinking of spring in winter" post. But that's been one of the few things on my mind. It's one of the few things on the minds of most people living in cold and snowy areas. So I decided to say what we're thinking, "Winter stinks, c'mon spring!"

A new thing I started this past summer was season CDs for my car. I've taken favorite songs that fit a seasonal theme or mention a month or holiday and put it on the CD for the matching season. I was still listening to Christmas music this morning. It matches since I still see Christmas wreaths.

But the CD also has general winter songs like "Winter Wonderland" and Madonna's "Frozen". It includes "Let Her Go" since it mentions "you only miss the sun when it starts to snow". I included "Hall of Fame" because of Football Hall of Fame nominations and because the NFL playoffs are when those Hall of Famers made their records. For Valentine's Day I included classic love songs like "My Heart Will Go On" by Celine Dion and "I Will Always Love You" by Whitney Houston. That one has been hard to listen to with Bobbi Kristina's struggles!

The second to last song on each CD includes a New Age song. The very last song is "Love For All Seasons" by Christina Aguilera. It's a nice mix. All of the "snow is wonderful" songs were hard to listen to these past two weeks. But it's a reminder that winter doesn't actually stink.

It's the bone-chilling cold that stinks. Snow might be annoying but it also can be fun if it's not too cold. When it's bone-chilling cold you can't go outside to walk or play. When it's bone-chilling cold outside it's usually also cold inside. You can't get warm. THAT'S what stinks. Like most people, I hate looking out at all of the white from the snow. It's been too white for too long. But this time of year reminds me that snow isn't the real problem, it's the ice!

Some days are in the teens or colder, some days are in the thirties or colder. It's the transition. March is usually in the 20s and 30s. Some days reflect that. Others are nothing but frozen! When it's in the 30s, the snow melts and there is hope we won't be seeing snow on Mother's Day. But at night the melted snow freezes leaving ice. Making us wonder if we were wrong and we will still be dodging ice on Father's Day. Reality check: it'll warm up throughout March. Even when it still feels cold outside there will be melting. It won't be that much longer until the melting doesn't freeze at night. Even in New England winter should be gone by Mother's Day.

Tomorrow is decorating day and that means spring is arriving in my home and heart. Since I am home for the day, I have put the winter CD away and taken out the spring CD. Spring themes include flowers, ponds, butterflies, bees, babies, rain and beauty. I included "Roar" by Katy Perry because March comes in like a lion and out like a lamb.

Friday, March 20th is the calendar first day of spring. It's possible there will be Daffodils and Pansies then. But it's still very cold. We won't really see the spring flowering we long for until early to mid April. But it's nice to walk around stores and see what is being featured for spring now. You don't have to buy it. But it gets you in the spirit of spring.

The next time I drive somewhere I will be thinking about rain instead of snow. I will be thinking about butterflies, bees, and beauty. I will be surrounded by spring imagery. Outside there might be snow on the ground and bitter cold in the air. But inside I'll be thinking about how soon nature will be coming back to life.

Winter might not actually stink but, C'MON SPRING!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment