Monday, February 02, 2015

Lots Of A Little

I like variety. That goes for everything. I'd rather have a small amount of a few things then a large amount of one thing. Take dance. A lot of people focus on Ballet and/or Modern dance when they get older. I have always done everything. In my dance exercise routine I include things I have learned a little bit about. Such as Belly dancing. I did a project on it in college once so I learned a few elements. I know enough to Belly dance for the song "Roar" by Katy Perry.

There are a lot of things I know a little about. Zach is the same way. He wants to learn about everything. There are things he's really good at and things he knows a little about. But he's still too young for anything in particular to stand out as something he wants to prioritize. So I try to expose him to a little bit of a lot of different things.

That's how I feel about education. Testing has put too much of a focus on reading and math. Science and social studies are great subjects for hands on learning. But text books treat them like another place for reading practice. If there is a schedule conflict, science and social studies are the classes that get cut. ALL subjects are EQUALLY important. That includes art, music, and gym. A more well-rounded education means you are better prepared for life.

1. Drawing
2. Crocheting
3. Playing the Piano
4. Playing Tennis
5. Yoga
6. Pilates
7. Batoning
8. Dancing (Country Line, Salsa, Belly dancing, and African dancing)
9. Minor Home Improvements





Those are all things I can do but not at a high skill level. I know more then the basics, but nothing impressive. I took an African dance class at a summer camp in High School. I remember enough to get through "Just A Dream" by Usher. As a teenager I liked Country music. I learned then that the Electric Slide is actually a Country Line dance. So I do the Electric Slide to "Bartender" by Lady Antebellum. We learned a little about Ballroom Dancing in a class I took in college. I didn't have a good song for the Waltz so I went with a Salsa to "Tonight I'm Loving You" by Enrique Inglesias.

As for Batoning, that's an interesting story. I was a dance teacher at a local studio in college. The owner was opening a restaurant and had me teach ALL of the classes. That included Batoning. Due to health issues I didn't last past that first semester. It was my first semester after transferring colleges. I still use Batoning as part of my exercise routine. It goes well with "Dark Horse" by Katy Perry.

1. Gardening
2. Cooking
3. Dancing (Ballet, Tap, Jazz and Modern)
4. Jewelry Making
5. Holding my breath underwater for a long time. Usually, a pool end to end.

These are the things I am frequently complimented on. I'm not professional, but I know a lot about them. I'm really good at them. We are snowed in today. So I decided to do something I have never done before. Make hash browns from scratch.

I found a basic recipe on allrecipe.com but modified it slightly. I don't have a shredder so I had to hand shred the potatoes. I added paprika, shredded cheese, and chopped scallions. Josh said it was "AMAZING!" I agree! The end result sure didn't taste like I had never made them before! I rarely have had hash browns in general! But it was fun to make on a cold and sleepy day.


Classic Hash Browns

 

Ingredients

3  russet potatoes, peeled

3 tablespoons unsalted butter

1 pinch paprika, or to taste

¼ c Shredded cheddar cheese

1 scallion, chopped


ADVERTISEMENT

Directions

1.     Shred potatoes into a large bowl filled with cold water. Stir until water is cloudy, drain, and cover potatoes again with fresh cold water. Stir again to dissolve excess starch. Drain potatoes well, pat dry with paper towels, and squeeze out any excess moisture.

2.     Heat butter in a large non-stick pan over medium heat. Sprinkle shredded potatoes into the hot butter and season with paprika, cheese, and scallions.

3.     Cook potatoes until a brown crust forms on the bottom, about 5 minutes. Continue to cook and stir until potatoes are browned all over, about 5 more minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment