Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Not Named

Out of the blue today I found myself thinking about Kyron Horman. He's been missing since June 4, 2010 from his Elementary school in Oregon. The prime suspect remains his former Step-Mom, Tracy Horman.

http://www.bringkyronhome.org/

That got me thinking about this other article I read a few years ago. There was a serial killer in the 70s. He killed a bunch of teenage boys. He was arrested but I forget the name of the killer. In the article, they posted pictures of the three remaining boys that hadn't been identified over the years. The pictures were computer generated with what they most likely looked when alive. It's been a few years since that article but I never saw a follow-up article. Have they been identified? I can't even find that article I read in the first place. At the time, it was an aol feature with the picture next to the title. But they remain to the public not named.

That got me thinking about those not named in National media. Perhaps they are mentioned in local media, but their stories aren't considered "special" enough for national media. We read a lot about Yeardly Love and George Huguely. In May of 2010 Huguely threw Love against a wall during a fight killing her. He had an abusive past. They had an on again/off again relationship and he was abusive to her.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/yeardley-loves-family-worried-george-huguelys-violent-past/story?id=17278322

But what about the victims of domestic violence that DON'T make the news? 1.3 million women a year experience domestic violence. There might be a lot of articles on domestic violence and it's victims, but there aren't any where near a million in the news each year. And that only takes into the attacks that are reported! No one names the victims that don't name themselves. Domestic violence is a big issue, why aren't ALL victims treated like those that make the news? How many domestic violence victims don't get non-local candlelight vigils because their story wasn't impressive enough to be in the news? I might not know your name, but this is a show of support for those forgotten in the media.

http://www.ncadv.org/files/DomesticViolenceFactSheet(National).pdf

http://www.safehorizon.org/page/domestic-violence-statistics--facts-52.html

We can't forget missing people. In 2013 there were over 260,000 reported missing kids under 18. I read a lot of articles about missing kids. When a friend posts a picture of a missing kid on facebook, I share it. I did a separate blog post on missing people. in June of 2013.

http://homewithmommy-fran.blogspot.com/2013/06/missing-people.html

But I can only mention those I read about. There weren't over 260,000 missing people mentioned in national news last year. Missing people are more likely to make the news then domestic violence victims. It makes it easier for them to be found. But I know there are many missing people I haven't read about. Why? Because they are more likely to still be local? I have read a lot of stories of missing people found locally. The searches stay local too. Why are their stories special enough for the national news and not others?

What about murders? Mass murders are defined by four or more people. That averages 16.4 mass shootings a year. I don't count so it is possible all of them made national news. But did all of the victims? We can find a list of names. But only the "attention grabbers" like children are talked about in more detail in the national news.

As for non-mass murders, there were over 14,000 last year. I didn't read about 14,000 murders. I have read about many, but I doubt the number reached 14,000. Murder is a big deal, why were some considered more "report worthy" then others?

http://journalistsresource.org/studies/government/criminal-justice/mass-murder-shooting-sprees-and-rampage-violence-research-roundup#

http://www.fbi.gov/news/stories/2014/november/crime-statistics-for-2013-released/crime-statistics-for-2013-released

I don't know the names of the victims of violent crimes I am posting about. Even if their name is posted in a victim list of a mass shooting, their name gets lost by those names who's lives are talked about. I want to learn about the lives of the unnamed. I want to know their stories too. Because they should never experienced what they experienced. We can't find a real way to prevent violent crimes when they aren't all treated like the very sad and senseless things they are. Some violent crimes are a bigger deal then others. What message does that send? Either "you might get away with it" or "the more you kill, the more famous you'll be". Neither are good messages.

We need a nationwide general vigil. A candlelight vigil for ALL victims of violent crimes. Even if you don't personally know anyone who is a victim. Even if you don't know someone who knows someone who is a victim, there are too many out there not named. Even if they survived, we need to remember them.

There might be another Kyron or Yeardly out there. If so, they, along with their families, are in my thoughts an prayers. I might not have been told your story, but it's just as important as the stories I have been told. There are too many of these stories to be ignored. I remember Kyron. I remember Yeardly. I think of those not named, and wish they were named too. I'll remember them anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment