Thursday, September 06, 2012

Back To School

Zach's experience with camp went like this: His best friend wasn't there and neither were some of his favorites teachers so he never wanted me to leave but always had fun. Classes were different then during the year so it felt strange. It was a looong August.

I wanted to treat going back to school like it's special and started talking to him about who his new teachers would be. We got a special "first day of school" brown polo shirt, back to school books and had special meals. Homemade burgers Tuesday, the day before school and Chicken an Wine Sauce the first day of school, Wednesday. Chicken in Wine Sauce is Cocovon (sp?) from Julia Child's "The Art of French Cooking". My mom has made it for years and it is a family favorite. As kids, my brother and I each got a special "First Day of School" meal. One of us the day before, the other the actual first day. Hugh almost always wanted Chicken and Wine Sauce. I always wanted Stir Fry because my Dad had heartburn issues so it was literally the only day each year my Mom made it. Zach was confused when we asked what he wanted so I choose for him.

On Tuesday, we talked a little bit about the first day but mostly bonded and hung out with Grandma and Pop. While there, I found a preschool level workbook I had used to make my own monthly themed preschool level workbooks. He liked doing it so we got him a couple more at Barnes and Knobles. One was specifically to work on same and different and the other features tracing lines, art is his weakness.

On Wednesday, he kept asking if Niko was going to be there. I had forgotten to get Niko's Dad's phone number before school was out so I didn't know for sure. Before Zach was out of his car seat once at school he saw Niko. They went in together. Unlike August, he didn't cry at drop off and was happy that one of his favorite teachers, Eileen, was there to greet him. She is one of his teachers.

Zach's classroom is in front of the observation window. It was crowded yesterday so I couldn't watch but I was there today and it was so much fun watching him in school! They were finishing up an art project when I arrived and then did show and tell. Zach has been talking about how much he loves school. He's very happy. This is why he is in school four mornings a week now, because he loves it so much. We'll do worksheets together on Fridays. It was nice to get things done but after such a long summer it was nice to have a chance to miss him. And I did miss him sooo much!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment