Sunday, January 15, 2012

Mommy, Please Don't Go!

I heard those words at preschool drop off on Wednesday. But part of that stems from what happened Tuesday. On Tuesday he had a second poopy accident at school. He was frustrated with himself for making a mistake he hadn't made in a very long time. I kept telling him, "everything is okay, Angel, you're adjusting". That's not the part that got to him, the teacher didn't see the underwear in his cubby and put him in a diaper.

That's a big deal to him. He's so proud of his potty training accomplishment and hated being treated like when he was a "baby". Everyone I tell that to agrees that he was reasonable to be upset at that. It was an honest mistake but one that made him want me to be there to make sure it doesn't happen again. I did tell his teacher the underwear will always be there and that it was an issue for him that he was put in a diaper at pick-up on Wednesday. He probably would have rather gone Commando (shout out to Grandpa who's a Vietnam Vet). [Pop is my dad and Grandpa is Josh's]

But that's not the only thing. When we arrived on Wednesday, I introduced him to a classmate who's father I had met at pick-up Tuesday. Niko was wearing a NJ Devils winter cap so I mentioned that Zach is named after Zach Parise (always a hit with sports fans). He started to feel comfortable with Niko and we went in. Another kid was crying for his mom not to leave that morning. Zach was fine anyway while I hung up his coat and stuff. I went to kiss him goodbye and said what I always say, "Mommy loves you. I'll see you later for lunch, this is a good safe place to be. I can't wait to hear about your morning. I love you, bye bye" Then kissed him and got up to leave.

He burst into tears "No, Mommy, please don't go, please!" I picked him up and kissed him and tried to keep reassuring him that he'll be okay. The teachers told me the best thing is for me to just leave but I have studied enough human development to be concerned that he'll feel abandoned and all the attachment issues that come with that. When I started to walk to the door again, he ran after me and grabbed my leg. One more kiss and I left with him crying and my heart breaking. It took ten minutes to leave.

I had planned to go home and do chores but I really needed to walk with my Mom in the park so I went to their house. She understood. I may have told her "I'll be fine you go to work" but my brother was the very last kid to unclench his mother and she was told to stick around in a different room for a while just in case. My Mom knows the pain I felt. She reassured me that Zach would be fine.

That last hour before pickup was like time stood still! But I got there to get him and he was happy, wearing the cloths I sent him in (he has amazing bladder control plus the only way to make sure he's never put in a diaper again is to not have another accident). The first thing he said to me: "Mommy, you came back!" I told him, "Of course I came back!!! I promised I would!" He was happy to go home but continues to enjoy school. In March, when the Y classes are over, I'm going to add a day at Preschool and only take Swim at the Y. He talked about Niko and school. Apparently, the tears didn't last long after I left and he remembered he likes the place. He kept talking about the goldfish and cheerios snack where they talked about patterns.

During my walk with Grandma I decided what I could do to help him more with the transition. I started snuggling with him on the couch during his prenaptime tv show Angelina, Ballerina and in general holding him more. We snuggle every morning like when he was a baby (previous post). Usually, I give him time to play alone during the day but what he has wanted is for me to play with him. He still plays alone when I cook. I just wanted him to get independent time since that's healthy but what he needs right now is me. I also started taking him out after nap to all the places we used to go on off days in the mornings before his newly busy schedule. He loves that he doesn't have to give up the things he used to love to do and that makes it easier for him to like school.

I guess that's what the "Polar Bear Club" kids look like on the beach while their parents are swimming 

It was my lazy shorts but they are a Small and I'm a medium now. They WERE next to the couch for the garage but Zach loves to find treasures over there and decided to put them on. Just a tad big on him.

No comments:

Post a Comment