Saturday, August 06, 2011

Diet Update

There is a street near our house. I estimate it to be a mile. Today I did 6. However, while walking it, I realized how much harder it is to do even one lap there then what I used to consider a mile in stores. Two full laps around Kohls is one mile not 3 laps is 2 like I originally thought. That goes for all the stores I use. The outside measurements still feel right though. After radically redefining the exercise I've been getting, I realize that early on, I had trouble loosing that pound a week because I only got a mile or two worth of exercise a day. Most weeks I either didn't loose or only lost that pound but had to watch every morsel that went into my mouth. If I ate one thing out of the planned diet in a week, I didn't loose any and sometimes gained. After vacation, when I thought it was closer to 4 - 6 miles it turns out it was legitimately 2 - 4 averaging 3 miles a day. That is still a lot of exercise though and I still see a difference. I had gained back about 5 pounds from my broken foot (bringing it to 129 before vacation at night though so it technically was 128). After vacation, it was still 128 but that was period week so I probably was closer to 127 really. This week's number, 126 pounds, at night meaning probably really 125!!! That's right, two pounds in a week with all this extra exercise. I noted it as the 126 though. Total pounds lost: 6 Away from goal of 115: 11.

As Gabriel says though, there is a flaw to the poundage thing. As you exercise you build fat burning muscle. However, that muscle adds pounds. Weight isn't the best measure of dietary success, clothing fit is. I made a chart for the diet (OCD remember) and part of what I included was measurements around my waist (2" above the belly button) and around the belly button. Gabriel says she wants to make sure I am doing that right. But, this is how I measured in February for that floral skirt I ordered from Victoria's Secret (Post titled "The Skirt" pictured below). I think it would be more accurate to track success based on measuring as I did then. To date I'm 35.5" around my belly button with a goal of 27". My waist is 32.5" with a goal of 24". There is no reference for belly on webmd.com and waist is based on pants size but they don't define pants sizes in measurements on their site. I used their chart and 24" is the smallest for my height that is healthy. I started off 13" away from my goal in both but now am down to 8.5". I lost 4.5: total!!!



I look a lot thinner but still feel like a work in progress. The chart is helpful. I measure on Thursdays and highlight in yellow those days. I also mark the cycle week since that influences things. We need a scale though. My birthday is Sept 17th so guess what's on the list. I usually use my parents' scale but had to borrow our upstairs neighbor's scale for this week. Hence why it was 8:30pm.

Those six miles were exhausting but worth it. I now know I can manage three in a row if I'm not pushing Zach's stroller. It was a good lesson to learn about the stores too. It's still decent exercise but when people ask how much I do I can honestly answer them.

I had a dilemma about what to do when we are snowed in. Last year, I did a four part exercise program similar to before I got pregnant. I used to strap Zach in his high chair and he'd snack while I worked out. I correctly estimated that to be about a miles worth of exercise (Gabriel agreed). But one miles isn't enough so today I added the four part dance routine I used to do too for an additional mile. My current goal is 2 - 4 miles of activity a day. Those eight routines would be two miles of snowed in exercise! Zach isn't in a high chair so this would be when Josh is home but it takes between half an hour and an hour so it can wait. Here it is. I have two sets of songs to match the style so if I get tired of the one I can switch. One song each style.

Ballet
Tap
Jazz
Modern
Stomach
Step
Yoga and Pilates
Weights

I still am a work in progress as you can see. I do see a difference in the mirror and a small one here. Josh says he can tell. Can you? I no longer feel like this diet is futile.

July 7th
August 6th

I used to include a pointe dance (ballet on the toes) and stretches but they might be pushing my luck time wise. Here is my list of estimated exercise that should be about a mile. I encourage all of you to figure out a miles worth of diverse, mostly walking exercises too near your own homes.

Required 2 - 4 miles
1 mile equals
Kohls 2 laps
JC Penny 2 laps
Target 2 laps
Mall 1 lap
Kmart 3 laps
Macys 2 laps
Park 1 lap
Cumberland 1 lap
My Parent's 1 lap
Bridge & back 1 lap
Hillside 2 laps
High School 1/2 a lap
Middle School 1 lap
Track 2 laps
Swimming laps 4ft. 4 laps
Walking pool 4ft. 6 laps
Boardwalk 1 lap
Dance Routine 1 time
Gym Routine 1 time

No comments:

Post a Comment