Monday, November 15, 2010

This Kid Can EAT!!!

The only time Zach ever had a hard time eating was when he was brand new. We used to call him our one ounce wonder. We went directly to the bottle, formula feeding from the beginning. His doctor said to stuff his face all day so he'll sleep through the night. Dr. Flyer is his Pediatrician. He also was my Pediatrician. It's always fun in the waiting room to say I was one of his first patients and I bet it makes other parents feel better about the care their kids are getting. It made me feel better so no problem let's try it. He just liked the nighttime feedings sometimes throwing up during the day when it was too much. That lasted three weeks then he decided food is yummy.

At four months we tried Rice Cereal on Columbus Day. Dr. Flyer had said not until six months but the average age is 4 - 6 months and I had come across enough parents starting rice cereal at three months that while watching Zach eat I knew he was ready. He loved it! Here is a picture.

We tried it at our weekly family dinner with my family and my parents and brother were in heaven! In November, at five months, I made his other solids like applesauce (hated), mashed peaches (loved), sweet potatoes (loved) and others as recommended for his age. http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/ was an excellent source. Our rule has always been there are no substitutions. The only exception is butter on his baked potato instead of the sour cream Josh and I use.

He loves a lot of food. When he reached an age where he could eat the same things we eat he has had a blast. Favorites include Taco's, Garlic London Broil, and Spaghetti and Meatballs. He loves spicy food! He eats as much or almost as much as I do at any given time.

My mom is in amazement. As you might have guessed from my last post I wasn't a big eater as a baby either. They had to keep a journal to make sure I got enough! Dr. Flyer still mentions it. I think I scarred my mom with the feeding troubles. Apparently, when I started solids it seemed more came out then came in. One of my mom's biggest joys in life is feeding Zach since it's so easy!

The only thing he (ironically) doesn't like is Mac and Cheese. I got my Mother-in-Law's homemade recipe (no blue box for us) but he still doesn't like it. I make it with Ham since Zach loves a Hamesteak and Josh is iffy about Ham but loves the Mac and Cheese (even the way I make it).He can't have sugar after 6pm. I'm proud to say he had never had a hot dog. I know it's coming but the longer we can put it off the better. Oh yeah, no orgnanics either.


This Halloween
 Birthday Cake

No comments:

Post a Comment