Wednesday, April 10, 2024

Art and the Mind

 I have a lot of photographs and paintings. Most of it is Thomas Kinkade. I used to work for a Thomas Kinkade gallery. But some of what I have are pictures of his paintings printed on canvas and framed at AC Moore. I also am a fan of Wall26, an art company on Amazon. It's affordable and pretty artwork. 

We finally decorated Zach's floor. When we moved in almost 2 years ago, what he wanted to do didn't sound like it was going to stick for long. So, we waited. His birthday is in early June so, his gift was to finally get the wall decorations he wanted. He has a few posters. But, unlike 2 years ago, was willing to consider Wall26 art. I prefer the realistic paintings as gallery wrapped canvases. He wanted natural framed watercolors. Most of what he chose was done by Claude Monet. He loves it! We are still waiting on a poster and a few paintings for him. I asked if he still wants anything he wanted 2 years ago. He said, "no". 

This got my OCD juices rolling! The Thomas Kinkade "Christmas in New York" Painting that was Zach's had been at the landing of the stairs. Now, he got a sunflower painting in the same type as the rest of the stair paintings. The Christmas tree painting had to move! It's now by the fridge across from the framed photograph of 3-year-old Zach helping make Christmas cookies. 

Other paintings were moved, a few Thomas Kinkade gallery wrapped canvases were ordered from the Thomas Kinkade website, a few pictures were added to a "canvas frame your photo" Amazon canvas. A few are now in the basement, replaced by nicer choices. Now, anywhere the eye goes will have a painting to look it. 

It's an optical illusion. At any time, multiple paintings will be in your line of sight for most of the main floor on the house. The eye goes to the painting your brain consciously or subconsciously needs to see. There is something about that painting reflecting your thoughts or needs. 

My dad says it's too much. His walls have always been kind of baron to me. I know I put small things in places most people leave bare. Like the wall space above a light switch, but I do it for this very reason. So, the mind can find the image it needs to see. 

Years ago, at the condo I used to do "gallery tours". I would start at the painting by the door and work my way circling the condo looking at all paintings and photographs in every room. I did that today at the house. I have printed out pictures of the new art and used painter's tape to secure them where the real thing is going to be so, these were included. 

Thomas Kinkade's "Conquering the Storm". Holds an interesting history for me. 8 years ago, it's almost like God was guiding me to buy it. A reminder that I will get through the hard times. For my mom's memorial service, I chose lavender and peach roses. They reminded me of the different sunsets. Later, I realized the painting with both these sunset colors in it was "Conquering the Storm". God's reminder I will get through this loss. 

I see this all the time. I look up and let myself be guided instinctively in a direction. I end up in front of the painting or photography I need to be in front of. When you need comfort, it's a good thing to do to find that comfort. 

No comments:

Post a Comment