Tuesday, March 21, 2023

Helping and Comfort

 Everyone needs help sometimes. I'm 42. I've known for a long time that around this age my parents would need my help more while Zach would still need me. It's middle adulthood. When my parents were my age, they were taking care of my brother and me while helping with their own parent's care more. 

But, you can't be the best help for others when you aren't taking care of your own needs. Last night I was reminded of that when I vomited. No, it's not a stomach bug. I list my theories on what it is later. In addition to comfort objects like the dishes mentioned in the last post I have comfort activities. But they aren't enough and, all have their obstacles. 

Take a walk! 

Fresh air and hopefully sunshine on a nice day does wonders for your health. But it has two problems. 

1. It's weather dependent so not always an option.

2. I tend to overwalk sometimes. 2 to 2 and a half hours a day wears on my body and might mean too much pain to walk the next day. I had a 12-year-long eating disorder when I was younger and my body continues to pay the price for it. 


Food Treats!

We all do this sometimes. Here are the problems. 

 An occasional treat like candy, brownies, carbs, or Crasins are nice. But what happens when you are going through a rough patch and need a lot of comfort to cope? This is a nice option but can easily become one of the things causing your problems. I am pre-diabetic. I need to watch my A1C. I am also hypoglycemic so that combined with my GERD makes my relationship with food challenging. 


Shopping!

This has been a long-time coping mechanism for me. But, like with food, I can't do it often. To keep spending under control I do something we call "rabbit days". On the monthly budget excel spreadsheet I have boxes with bunnies in them. I add a bunny for each day I don't spend money on something that isn't necessary like food. After 12 days, I can treat myself to something like placemats. I have been really good about sticking to the rules with this. But it also is not always available as a comfort action option. 


Gardening or Sitting Outside!

This is also highly weather dependent. It also depends on the growing season. It's effective, free, and limited in when I can do it. 

Right now, my main problem is how much comfort I need in order to help those I love. Zach is recovering from post-concussion syndrome and my parents do need me more than they used to. I am very happy to help those I love. 


There are three possible reasons for why I vomited last night. 

1. I have treated myself for food more then I should have and it is affecting my A1C. 

2. Slowly, I have been having trouble with steak. That's part of the GERD. It's a Gastro issue that means I can't eat a massive amount of food, take out dinner, and have to cook basically everything. I didn't eat that much steak at dinner. We add additional protein by having cheese. But I always feel queasy after on steak nights. 

3. My Thyroid might be to blame. I have Hypothyroidism. a hypoactive thyroid. I have taken Levothyroxine for years. It's possible it's time for a stronger medication. I noted that not long after vomiting I took my Levo and felt better soon after. 

I am going to continue to search for additional comfort activities. I have never been one to sit still. That's why my degree is in Dance and not Piano. I'm sure I'll find something. I need to be strong for those I love. They matter the most to me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment