Sunday, February 04, 2018

Confronting Verizon (edit: A throttled friend speaks)

In December the FCC repealed Net Neutrality. Net neutrality was a protection created in 2015. All websites had to be treated equally by service providers. What can they do now?

1. Block certain websites
2. Create "fast" and "slow" lanes forcing websites to pay more for better loading speeds
3. Charge you for things like YouTube currently free

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/net-neutrality-vote-what-repeal-means-for-consumers/

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/net-neutrality-ends-providers-offer-cagey-responses/

Likely, this will raise bills when it's time for new contracts. For me, I have noticed pages like the New York Times suddenly having issues. It always has to be refreshed to open and the internet freezes to the point where I have to restart the entire computer significantly more then usual.

Verizon advertises their fast speeds. So when some pages regularly started freezing and slowing down, I decided to confront them. It's not what I paid for so I expect it to be fixed, or a partial refund each month for the troubles.

The first person gave me the "we would never do that" robotic response and passed me to a superviser. He read what I had to say, including websites to back me up, and disconnected after this quote from their rep in the cagey responses link above:

Verizon

Fast lanes: No specific response
Block or slow down sites: Says it doesn't do so, but declined to address the future
The words: In a Nov. 21 statement, Verizon Senior Vice President Kathy Grillo said: "We continue to believe that users should be able to access the internet when, where, and how they choose, and our customers will continue to do so." Asked whether Verizon will continue not to block or throttle content or whether it will charge internet companies to get better access to customers, Young said Verizon "does not block or throttle content, and that's the bottom line."

The no response to the fast lane part is frightening! It's also exactly what I claim they are doing. They never say they wouldn't do these things I now see happening. They didn't address slowing sites down in the future. It's the future, they are slowing them down.

The third person clarified.

Just to clarify, although Verizon has maintained the position that we do not block or throttle sites, you feel as though we do and would like a credit?

Good, she understood me. She asked what my current speed is. Speed isn't the problem, slowed down web pages are. She planned to offer more speed. I clarified that I either want them to stop slowing down pages or refund me for the inconvenience. I pointed out with the same speed these pages weren't issues before the repeal of net neutrality.

She transferred me again. Fourth person. Because they can't answer this or fix this. Not at this level. This chat wasn't about actually being able to fix things now. It's about getting the attention of someone high enough to be afraid. Afraid that customers are noticing and it will effect their business.

Afraid enough to stop this. It's what the FCC said would happen. "With customer pressure nothing will change." So, it's up to us customers to put on the pressure! Through contacts like this. Asking for a refund in each bill for the inconvenience they are causing with all of these tricks. Calling them on the false advertising or the fine print in their ads.

Enough attention to make congress have to do something about it. Forcing sensitive republicans who are in tight races to pass net neutrality or basically forfeit their races. Helping democrats take over in November if they don't pass net neutrality. It's a bipartisan issue and it matters.

The fourth person took his time to read the conversation and respond. I was calm and clear. He has no argument but doesn't have the authority to offer what I am rightfully asking for. It is a recorded chat. It won't be long until this makes it up the PR chain.

The fourth person was a tech guy offering to help with speed. But, some pages are just fine. It's not all of them. He can't fix this. But, with loud voices we can!

Edit:
Below in green is from a friend. She too has struggled with Verizon's internet.

So far I have had my streaming halt on Netflix and PBS. I have wanted to dump Verizon for some time (mostly because of their lobbying efforts against Net Neutrality) and find myself especially motivated now. Needless to say Verizon does NOT get another $10/mo from me to stop throttling, but the alternatives aren't exactly customer focused either. Recommendations welcome.

There is the real problem. ALL of the companies are doing it. In today's blog post I mentioned how Spring is the carrier for my tablet. Now, I can see my AOL email but not my Verizon email. It's the least subtle thing I've come across yet! Then again, Sprint has always had an inferiority complex when it comes to Verizon and AT&T.

We can't let these companies get away with these tricks. Pay attention, contact them about it. Contact congress about it. Contact candidates running for congress about it. Because the companies with a lot of money shouldn't be allowed to drawn out the small companies.

No comments:

Post a Comment