Tuesday, January 30, 2018

I'm Around

With the warm weather in my area lately I have been walking around town a lot more. When it's too cold, too hot or raining I get my exercise with 4 - 6 laps around stores like Target or Kohl's. But, I prefer walking outside. It's good for my processing disorder. It's easier to process new stimuli. The fresh air makes a difference too.

I've talked about my town before. I find a lot of comfort here. A lot of that comes out when I'm walking around my town. I prefer walking with Josh. But, I enjoy it alone or with Zach too.

"I've seen you walking."

We hear that a lot! Usually, it's on the main street in town. But, sometimes it's in their neighborhood. People see us and recognize us. Sometimes it's people we know from high school, Zach's school, or activities. Other times they are people we have never met who just see us walking a lot.

Sometimes I even come across Josh while he's at work. Like yesterday. I was approaching a stop sign on a different main street when I saw Josh driving strait. So, instead of turning right, I turned left. When he got out of his car nearby, he was startled to see me across the street. He made his delivery and we snuck a quick kiss before he went back to work. He told me the customer thought it was funny that I happened to be walking when I saw him. But, the pizza shop is in town so that happens sometimes.

When it's nice, I'm around. Sometimes with a backpack in case I need to change hats, jackets, or sweaters. Usually, with a hat of some sort. If it feels like 25 - 85 degrees and isn't raining, you'll probably see me walking if I have the time.

I like running into people who see us walking. They always smile when they say it. This is our town. In July we will have been together for 20 years. We have been married for 13 years. A very small portion of our lives were lived in a different town and both of those towns were very close. We are high school sweethearts.

What makes this town special is this. That isn't a novelty here. We know a lot of couples who either dated or knew each other in high school and are still together. It happens in other places. But, not at the percentage rate it happens here!

When we tell people we grew up here they always say "yeah, I hear that a lot." Or some version of that. It's a good place for a childhood. It's a comforting place to be. That's one of the reasons you will hopefully see me around it.

Zach on the baseball field at the elementary school I went to.

No comments:

Post a Comment