Thursday, December 28, 2017

And Fidget Spinners Too

The other day I was waiting in line at Mavis Tire and Auto Repair. On the tv in the waiting area there was a commercial. "When we come back, the top ten trends of 2017." That played while they featured someone spinning a fidget spinner. I looked over at a woman sitting in the chair and said "we just lived through it, why do they think we need to be told fidget spinners were popular in 2017. I know that! My son has 12!"

But, that is far from the only place you can find a list like that at this time of year. I have yet to come across two lists that are alike. Some lists don't even list the same items! I'm not talking "fashion trends" lists compared to "wellness trends" lists. I just went to google "popular trends in 2017" and even the non-specific lists are very different.

Most of the things on the lists I have never heard of. Others I simply thought they were popular from previous years and are still carrying over. I never was one to follow along with whatever was hot at that moment. But, I know 5 Nights at Freddy's and Fidget Spinners were HUGE for Zach and his friends! I doubt they care about cut off shirts.

I wonder if in December of 1908 the newspapers did articles on trends from 1908? What about all of those predictions for the upcoming year? Imagine someone randomly doing that google search. Today, the link below was the first one I got (from Popsugar).

https://www.popsugar.com/home/Biggest-Trends-2017-43169937

It would be useless in the future. Because it was written in February as a prediction for what would become a trend. "Mermaid hair" was one but I have no freaking clue what that is! That's one problem I founds. A lot of the lists were either predictions for what the authors thought would become trends. Or, they were written in November so the years wasn't even near completed yet!

There is one thing these lists are good for. We lived through them. But, they will tell people 100 years from now what life was like today. Imagine that. It's 2117 and a historian sees that trends included fidget spinners and, apparently, cut off shirts.

What conclusions would they come to about 2017 Americans when you combine, Trump, the Women's March, fidget spinners, and cut off shirts? I can just imagine the profilers scratching their heads while laughing.

Fidget Spinners = not so good at the "sitting still and being patient" part.
Cut Off Shirts = some people will wear anything if a celebrity was seen in it.
Trump = why 100 years later America is still trying to fix the damage done by the rushed tax law.
Women's Marches (and the pink pussy hats) = why we eventually got a woman president.

I'm going to explain that last one. I am being cynical but I highly doubt a woman will beat Trump in 2020. It's a process. A slow process. It won't happen until mindsets change. Mindsets won't change until the gender gap closes. BUT, I think by the time Sasha Obama is 45 - 55 we will have evolved enough to actually elect a woman. I'm rooting for Sasha Obama!!! I honestly wish Kamala Harris would be able to win in 2020. But, we have to be realistic. So, start with elected officials that want to close the gender gap and work at taking steps to do it. I know a large amount of men that agree with women on this. Just because that congressman is a man doesn't mean he won't fight for women's rights!

These lists are more about having positive news then to actually mean anything. But, I think it would be fun to make a list for 2017 of our own.

Favorite Moment: Zach making the travel team for spring baseball!
Favorite Pattern: The "Row of Cats" pattern for crochet. I still have 2 blankets I'm working on in it!
Favorite Song:  "I'll Stand By You" - Rachel Plath (at 37 you aren't targeted for music)
Favorite New Show: "Bull" CBS Tuesdays 9pm eastern time it's awesome!
Favorite "Happy For": Josh getting a new car (Thanks Mom!!!).

It'll be interesting to see what becomes a trend in 2018. I probably will have another year of only noticing kid trends because of Zach. As long as they are safe, legal and age appropriate, I'm good. Some 2017 trends are still popular. Others are over. But, historians will use these trends someday to figure us out. Or at least try to. You never know. They might like cut off shirts enough to bring them back. And fidget spinners too.

No comments:

Post a Comment