Sunday, November 19, 2017

Celebrating The Moment

A few years ago I did a blog post called "Watching Zach". In it, I described all the ways we watch our kids and a flash forward image I had. Zach pitching a baseball at the big field near my parent's house.

The last two years I posted about a path to that moment. Little steps as he started baseball. But, with what happened today God answered one of my questions about parenting. What should I point him to try?

Zach made the spring travel team!!! 8U!!!

In this town, you can't make the high school baseball team if you haven't done travel baseball. They just have had more opportunities and better coaching. But, it's also about timing.

Zach didn't make the fall travel team because of the age cut off. 9 year olds were trying out for the 8U! He's right in range for 8U this year. Meaning, he's one of the oldest and most experienced that tried out for spring.

That makes it easier to make the travel teams in the future. It's easier as they get older because kids drop out of baseball so there is less competition. But, he really had to make it some time before middle school (5th grade). At least that's how it seemed from research.

One of Josh's co-workers used to be on the high school team and helps the coach out. This fall we paid him to privately coach Zach. Clearly, it was a good investment!!!

This year, he plays on that field. This year, players pitch. This spring that moment might happen. It also might mean an opportunity to wear that spirit wear I have (including the striped cold weather hat I crocheted just in case!!)

I'm going to be busy and tired this spring. It's time to finally buy a GPS!!! But, it's totally worth it!!! So we are celebrating the moment.



No comments:

Post a Comment