Thursday, July 13, 2017

Summer Is.......

Summer is hot!
Summer is relaxing in the sun!
Summer is enjoying being in the water!
Summer is when most flowers are at the peak of blooming season!
Summer is grass clippings!
Summer is grilled food eaten outside!
Summer is longer days!
Summer is a sprinkler!
Summer is your feet in the sand!
Summer is tan skin!
Summer is bare feet!
Summer is flip flops!
Summer is a chance of thunder in the evening!
Summer is relaxing outside after dinner when it doesn't rain!
Summer is air conditioning!
Summer is fishing!
Summer is that feeling of that first step into the water!

Yesterday we were at the town pool when Zach got out of camp. There I was bouncing around 5ft waiting for him to come down the waterslide. I found myself thinking "this is what summer feels like!"

A lot of moms at the pool are bakers. They love tanning. Me, I've always been a water person. I was the kid that only left the water when the lifeguards blew the whistles for adult swim! I only liked a vacation if a pool was involved! There is something about being in water.

It's still the best part of summer. I don't take Zach to the pool unless it's hot enough and the water is warm enough for me to get in too! We start in 5ft. We take a lunch break. We end in 3ft. I can't stand the heat and sunlight for that long anymore before I start feeling sick. So we are there from when it opens at 12 to sometime between 1 and 1:30.

But, I spend most of that time in the water! It's finally warming up enough to be comfortable. I love the feeling of the water surrounding me. Like a hug. Pools in dreams usually represent emotions. They are frequently in my dreams. In my dreams they are sources of comfort. It's not surprising then that they are sources of comfort for me when I'm awake.

Zach loves to swim. He's the kind of kid I was. After lunch he will play beanbag toss on his own for a little bit. But, he likes that last dip too! He loves the waterslide and diving board! He loves to do what most kids love to do. And he loves me right there watching him do it!

It's a contrast to when he was a baby. We joined when he was 1 and 2. He loved the baby pool but never liked it when I took him to 3 ft. I needed to cool off too! He cried the entire time I held him there. So when he was 3 and 4, we weren't pool members. When he was 5 he was in kindergarten and had more friends there. Finally! We were both able to enjoy the big pool!

Summer is hot!
Summer is relaxing in the sun!
Summer is enjoying being in the water!
Summer is when most flowers are at the peak of blooming season!
Summer is grass clippings!
Summer is grilled food eaten outside!
Summer is longer days!
Summer is a sprinkler!
Summer is your feet in the sand!
Summer is tan skin!
Summer is bare feet!
Summer is flip flops!
Summer is a chance of thunder in the evening!
Summer is relaxing outside after dinner when it doesn't rain!
Summer is air conditioning!
Summer is fishing!
Summer is that feeling of that first step into the water!

Summer is something different to everyone!
Summer is the same for everyone!
Summer is what you make of it!

No comments:

Post a Comment