Tuesday, December 20, 2016

Ugly Christmas Sweaters

Apparently, December 16th was National Ugly Christmas Sweater Day. Research says they are based on the "Cosby Sweaters" worn by Bill Cosby on "The Cosby Show" and Chevy Chase in "National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation".










http://www.nationaluglychristmassweaterday.org/


http://www.uglychristmassweater.com/ucs/ugly-christmas-sweater/












I hate the sweaters. I've never understood the draw. But, this year they seem to be featured in stores more then in the past. I can't explain why that is. If someone from another country asked me about why they are so popular, I'd have to ask someone else. Uglychristmassweater.com suggests it's:






1. Nostalgia
2. Our (United States) insane obsession with fashion/aesthetics






Personally, I think it's basically out of a desire to be silly. We Americans like to be merry at this time of year. For most of us, it's the only time we use the word "merry". Dressing silly is a way to have a little extra fun.








I'm not one of those people. My mother in law is hosting an "ugly sweater" competition at her Christmas Eve party. She's family so I have to wear one too. I chose the simplest one I can find. Blue with a single large snowflake on it. Thanks Kohl's (Croft and Borrow).















Ugly Christmas sweaters are a literal visualization of one of my biggest anxiety causers. Confusing chaos. I wanted to choose something I could wear and not feel silly. Wearing things like that makes me feel extremely uncomfortable. Rattled. To most people, it's a sweater. Especially when a contest is involved, you won't look sillier then anyone else. If you do,  you win something.








I didn't want to participate. But, it clearly is very important to my mother in law. So I am. For her and for my father in law. Because I love them both. They might not consider something so basic participating, but it's the closest I can get comfortably.








It's a physical thing. I hold one in my size in my hand and shake. I get nauseous and blurry. That's right, I get a panic attack just holding one in my size. It's technically a harmless sweater, but I already will be panic stricken by all the cramped chaos and the several conversations around me. Each year I take a lot of steps to minimize the anxiety I will feel. That simple snowflake sweater is the only compromise I can find. It doesn't cause a panic attack but is still clearly a holiday sweater.








But, a lot of people enjoy being silly. A lot of people like the craziness of it. The more Christmas symbols the better! Because those are the things full of fun childhood Christmas memories. For a lot of people it represents the holiday spirit. If that's why you like the ugly sweaters, I can understand that.







Imagine an "ugly hat" Easter trend. With "ugly hat" competitions. The winner gets a special Easter egg with a prize inside. Stores can start featuring all sorts of odd hats. Odd things sticking out in unexpected places and in mismatching colors.






I'll wear that sweater. I'll find a corner near someone I like talking to, and try to focus only on those I am with at that time. It will help control the anxiety. But, it's going to be very hard to compliment these sweaters. I'll probably be saying "you look festive" a lot.






Maybe I should wear an ugly Easter hat to go along with my sweater. Once you know how to make rabbit ears that one gets easier. It might require a lot of explaining though. But, if the point is to be silly, an Easter hat with bunny ears and an ugly Christmas sweater will do it!

No comments:

Post a Comment