Thursday, December 01, 2016

Cheers To All My Best Friends

Social Anxiety is one of my many anxieties. I have always liked the idea of an ultimate best friend. One person who I consider my best friend and they consider me their best friend.

1. Can read your mind and you can read hers/his
2. You both always know what to say and do for the other.
3. You don't question sharing the things you wouldn't share with anyone else.

For most of my childhood I considered my first friend my best friend. But, she lived in a different town. She had her own group of friends. She considered me a close friend, but not her best friend. I even had a dream she was pregnant with a second child two months before she got pregnant with her second child. She's due soon.

During middle school she canceled with me a bunch of times when we were supposed to get together. We stayed friends. But, had started to grow apart. In the meantime, I met the friend that would be my maid of honor. She is still a very close friend of mine. She too lived in a different town. She too has always had a group of friends that she's closer with then me.

As we've grown older most of our views on social issues have started to differ. We grew apart. Just a little. But, that's understandable. I got married at 24 and had Zach at 28. She just this past July got married at 35. We simply have less in common. Our lives have taken different paths. I am always grateful for the time we spend together though. But, I don't think we are as close as we were as teenagers. That's very common though.

When Zach started Kindergarten I met my best Mom friend. Her son is who Zach calls his best friend. Her son has said the same thing about Zach. I take him home from school almost every day. She's always so busy so I cherish every moment we get together. We have similar social views so it's nice to have a safe person to share these things with. She also helped me realize something important.

There are a lot of people that fit those three best friend things from the top. You don't need one best friend who considers you their best friend too. What we really need are amazing close friends. It made me take a good look at the friends I have had in my life. Most are acquaintances. But, I have many that fit those three things.

I think what was on my mind was the thought "I can't think of anyone that would consider me their best friend". The only one I know for sure is Josh. Perhaps there are others who consider me one of a few best friends. No one has ever told me if they do (or did). I think it's healthy to have close friends from many places.

I still consider all of these women best friends. I have since added many more to that list. Most importantly, I added Josh to that list. I am blessed with all of the people I am friends with. I'm curious if these three women will know it's them.

Friendship is hard for someone with social anxiety. My best friends are the ones that understand me. If I ever had asked you for social skills advice or shared something very private with you, you are on that list! I hope I am as good a friend to you as you are to me!

These are all amazing people. They all have the following in common.

1. kind
2. generous
3. happy
4. smart
5. funny
6. trustworthy
7. loves kids
8. considerate

Cheers to all my best friends! I am lucky to have all of you!

No comments:

Post a Comment