Wednesday, November 09, 2016

Election Aftershock

Like many Hillary supporters I am grieving today. I have gone through a lot of strong emotions the last two days: denial, anger, bargaining, depression and acceptance. All of them. Including acceptance.

For a lot of women, this is about the next step in women's suffrage. Note the rage part of the word. It's an emotion many women are feeling today. Not all Trump supporters are white supremacists. I know generally good people who supported Trump. I have been struggling with how.

A lot of people weren't that crazy about Trump, but they liked him more then Hillary. Benghazi and the emails were just too much for them. I just keep thinking to myself "If it was Wendy Davis, would we have finally taken the last step and had our first Madam President?"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wendy_Davis_(politician)

In 2013 she led the 11 hour filibuster in Texas over abortion rights. Rick Perry passed the legislation anyway at a later date. She lost her run for Governor but it is Texas. Democrats don't win in Texas at that level. She also doesn't have controversies. She would have been hard to attack personally so easily. In 2020, she might be worth encouraging to run.


Denial:

during the election, when Trump had the lead for a while. I did a rough count. Technically, Hillary had a chance. But some states were still at mid percentages and Trump had a fraction of a percentage lead in a bunch of them. Like many Hillary supporters, I was in denial that she was unlikely to win technicality or not.


Anger:

I started typing down my emotions in word. It helped release some of that anger. It got darker then I have ever been!!! I didn't know my thoughts could get that dark! But, Trump's thing is inducing anger.


Bargaining:

It started while the votes were coming in but continued through most of the day. Usually, I pray for everyone. Everyone needs prayers. For a better job, a cure for a health issue, a home, food, surviving a natural disaster, and anything else. I decided not to include Trump supporters in my prayers anymore. If a natural disaster takes your home away, karma baby my prayers for everything to be okay are for the blue dots in a sea of hateful reds!!! Last night, I hoped God, who probably wants me to pray for everyone, would change things.  After all was said and done I decided to pray for everyone except the Trump supporters who wouldn't pray for me.


Depression:

A lot of crying. I made a smart decision this morning though. Last time the line was crossed and I broke, I found the comfort and support I needed by going to my church. My first thought at 5am when seeing the results was to do that today. It was the best thing I could have done. I had been questioning my view on how God works. Does he have a plan? My female Episcopal priest helped me understand that he doesn't control these things. But he guides and supports us through our struggles. I spent most of the day fearful over how awful our lives are going to get when Trump enacts his policies.


Acceptance:

That brings me to acceptance. My Mom reminded me that Trump was a Democrat until Obama was elected. He is also an entertainer who knows how to manipulate people into doing as he wishes. A lot of what he'll do will be bad and expect another recession. But, he might do something good too.

I crossed over from depression to acceptance when talking to my priest about a painting we got. Thomas Kinkade's "Conquering the Storm". It's the summer painting. I needed a brushwork for summer. I thought I'd start with lighthouses because he's known for them. The only other brushwork lighthouse was a fall one. There weren't any other brushworks that work for summer. This painting had bothered me since it arrived a couple of months ago.

In part of the painting is a ship struggling in a storm. This isn't helpful because of my fear of ships. On the other side is a lighthouse with the stormy sky clearing. Lighthouses symbolize safety, security, support, and guidance. I wanted to be okay with this painting. So I took time to really look at it. My eyes never went to the struggling ship first. They always started with the lighthouse. Safety, security, support and guidance.



We talked about how God is like that lighthouse. The meaning of the painting is that you will make it through the hard times. I see it differently now. I like it now. I still think God had a hand in it being the only summer brushwork option.

I actually started off wanting Martin O'Malley. Cory Booker is a favorite of mine too. What if Tim Kaine was the Presidential candidate? Again, what about Wendy Davis? From the non-hateful Trump supporters I know it sounded like their issue with Hillary was all of that controversy. Would they have voted for any of these candidates instead? Maybe in 2020 we'll find out.

No comments:

Post a Comment