Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Zach's New Stage Of Development

Zach is in a new stage of development. Eric Erikson would call it "middle childhood". His interests are changing. I look forward to this. As I have looked forward to all of the previous new stages of development. That interest of mine started when I saw two lines on the Dollar Tree pregnancy test informing me of his existence.

He doesn't play with his action figures that much anymore. He's more likely to play with his Legos or Wii U games. As for outdoor play, he's more interested in playing sports or swimming. He likes to play with his Nerf guns and Nerf bow and arrow too. He asked for a skateboard yesterday. He never used to be interested in riding his bike. I told him "no skateboard until you're off training wheels". Now he's interested in riding his bike.

He's also getting more adventurous. Last year, he wasn't comfortable on the diving board or going down the dark blue slip and slide at the town pool. Now, they are the first things he does when we arrive. For the first half hour or so I do laps while he bounces between the slip and slides and the diving board. There are other things, but these are good examples.

He's more independent. This being a condo we park in a parking lot. Often, my car is close but out of sight from most of the apartment. Lately, I have been letting him take my keys and walk alone to the car to look for something left behind. I didn't used to let him out of my sight like that. He can handle it. There are other things we let him do now but, you don't need me to list all of them. The more responsible he is, the more freedom he'll get. He's not fully independent yet, but it's a process he's moving forward in.

I'm enjoying the person he is becoming. He used to wear character shirts, now he wears the funny shirts. He's smart, funny, active, and strong! He also wants to do chores to earn money. He's learning that Mommy pays better then Grandma and Pop. Maybe I'm more impressed then they are. The last time my Mom had a boy doing chores for her it was my brother and he was in his 20s. Zach's just now at an age where some things are appropriate for him to do. Its a new experience for me. He asked us for an allowance

 He got the idea from one of his new TV shows. He used to watch shows like Wallykazam and Peppa Pig (Nick Jr.). He still likes them, but his new favorites are Henry Danger and Nicky, Ricky, Dicky and Dawn (Nickelodeon). With each age I like most of what he chooses to watch. That's still true. Now he's asking for an allowance and talking about "when a boy gets three hairs on his chest he's a man". THAT was interesting to wake up to today!

Some things haven't changed. His favorite color is still green. He still loves Breaded Chicken and to help me cook. He has some of the same favorite places and he's still addicted to Legos. I have a picture of him at 18 months building with Lego Mega Blocks. THAT interest will be around a while!!!

Yesterday, he wore the t-shirt and cap that were his baseball uniform. He LOVED being part of a team. He enjoys baseball. He also has been doing the camp though the town school system. His favorite parts are all the science experiments. He's connecting with this town like Josh and I have. That's the best part of all this!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment