Saturday, May 14, 2016

The OCD Rabbit Hole

I've gone down an OCD rabbit hole. Organizing things into months and seasons are how I make sense of the world. Here is when the metaphorical rabbit holes get entered. Projects aren't about the end result. They are about the process.

Reminder, with OCD it's something you can't stop yourself from doing. It controls your life until complete. One example is my "hats and wraps" project. What started as a small "sun hats for summer months and winter hats for winter months" project has grown. Whenever I get close to completing the big project, I find myself adding to it.

***Note: this is just an example of how the projects grow. Some people might be interested. Psychology professors looking for a pure example of OCD come to mind. However, if you actually don't care about the hats and wraps project, skip to the black*****

Originally: Sun Hats for Spring, June, July, August, and Fall. Winter hats for Fall, December, January, February, and Spring.

Then: Added heavy hats to December, January, and February. Added visors to June, July, and August

Next: Added cowls to December, January, and February. Added Sarongs to June, July, and August

After that: Added a heavy hat, cowl, visor, and sarong to use for both Spring and Fall

Not done yet: Needed a brim for Winter sometimes so got a felt brimmed hat for Winter and made a Patriotic headband for Summer. Can't have uneven numbers.

Finally: I realized my heavy hat, cowl, visor and sarong that Spring and Fall share work a lot better for Spring then Fall. So I decided to start a new grouping for Fall and make the current stuff for Spring.

All of my obsessions work this way. In a search to not complete this big knitting and crochet project, I am adding to this collection. But I am very happy with it. Part of it comes from the yarn I have been using. When I originally was selecting the patterns to use, I developed favorites. With my latest modification, I am now using all of my favorites from both types of yarn. I smile more as the larger project unfolds.

I remember being obsessed with my garden plan. I worked so hard on those layouts! I printed so many pages out and modified them as I adjusted what I wanted to grow in the garden. In a way, I was ready for my new permanent layout. I wasn't following those layouts anymore. With the smaller budget I would have had to re-do them anyway. I took a lot of flowers out of the plan. Every time I thought that layout was done, I had more ideas. It wasn't about the plan itself. It was about creating the plan. The metaphorical OCD rabbit hole.

I'm a creator. I'm a creative person. I see the potential. The end is nice. The process is better. But, I fall down that metaphorical OCD rabbit hole every time. It's all I talk about and think about. Josh can tell you stories of our two year long decoration hunt. We use those decorations all of these years later. But, I knew the exact things I wanted so we would hunt them down. It also meant a lot of decoration talk. There are a lot of projects that make me fall down that OCD rabbit hole. It's why it's diagnosed as OCD.

It's not about the project. It's about the process. Many times I have forgotten to eat or sleep from being so deep into  my projects. Deep in those rabbit holes. So deep you'd never know I'm petrified of heights!!! There is one ironic things about those frequent trips down those metaphorical OCD rabbit holes.................rabbits are my favorite animals!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment